Kaseya Community

Feature request needs upvotes for "Force-Paste" into KRC/Live Connect

• Fellow Kaseya users, you know the pain.  A Customer has a complex password, and you copy it to your clipboard, KRC or Live Connect to a machine, hit Ctrl-V and... nothing happens.  This is because Windows won't let you paste in a password to the login screen (likely for security reasons), so you're now forced to manually type out said password one character at a time.  This is compounded by the obvious security need for complex passwords and password auto-rotation (via AuthAnvil or your password vault of choice).

I'm piggybacking on (and hope you'll vote for) this Feature Request: https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/hc/en-gb/community/posts/219204928-CTRL-ALT-DEL-Password-Insertion-in-Kaseya-RC (opens in a new window)

I'm proposing a "Force-Paste" option which will force KRC/Live Connect to send whatever's on the clipboard to the machine as a keystroke anyway, regardless of whether or not the screen you're on actually supports a Ctrl-V paste using either a button ("Force Paste"), a modified keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Shift-V) or a similar mechanism to send the keyboard strokes to the endpoint.  Scenario:

You know how AAPS generates awesome, complex passwords?  You also know how KRC-ing to a Windows Server won’t allow you to paste in the credentials on your clipboard?  Do you not enjoy typing #x$5rr_392#@!! or some other iteration of a complex password every time AAPS rotates it only to swear profusely when Windows (via KRC/Live Connect) won’t let you paste it?  Force-paste it!  KRC/Live Connect already knows what the password is, it’s already on the clipboard… if the user simply clicks inside the password field and hits Force Paste (or Ctrl-Shift-V), BAM, KRC/LiveConnect sends the keystrokes to the remote machine.  A quick tap on Enter and you’re in!

• Vote !

• Vote!

• voted for it.

• We have the luxury of having some programmers here and one of them put together a tool giving us the option to use F3 to paste the password in a KRC session....

I can see if I'm allowed to share it, since it certainly would be useful?

• We used a program (KeePass)  when we had screenconnect, which worked fine, moving to Kaseya, the autotype feature doesn't work for us, therefore we have to open said program and copy the entry and paste it.

• OK, just got permission to share our tool to get a paste password option in RDP and KRC using F3.

So, just entered this in the Automation Exchange free for all to use. We have lots of people using this daily and know of no problems. Approval will take a day or two, then you can find it as and integration option with description "Password paste". For everyone that was waiting for Kaseya to pick up on this, enjoy this option!

• Oudjes,

Would you be willing to produce source for this?

Thank you.

• I did get the offer of sharing the source by the programmer himself. I'll check with his manager to be sure that's OK. I'm not sure how our magical wizards' chorus leaders think about that....

This morning I did get confirmation the tool is now available on the Automation Exchange. It can be used as it is now, but let me get back to you on the source....

Oops, edited this post, when I meant to edit another one... Disregard this line... really.. just stop reading... it does'n't make sense, at all... so, go on then - just get to work now... this doesn't make any sense it all.. really... etc, etc.. Hmm

I have corrected my correction..
    [edited by: OudjesEric at 1:17 AM (GMT -7) on Apr 12, 2017]
  • Hmm, like I suspected the high and mighty are not really inclined to give the source code away.

They want to talk money, so I'm negotiating this and will get back to you.

Since the programmer wasn't really concerned about it, they may decide it's not worth the hassle.... Just as a matter of interest would it be worth money to you or is it just curiosity you're asking for the source code?

• Most likely they are asking for security reasons (we're talking about passwords after all) rather than curiosity.

It's compiled AutoIT code and without going into details I can confirm it's only about 10 lines of code, it does what it says, it doesn't steal your passwords or anything like that. You can also press F4 to see some help (in Dutch) :)

• Appreciate the responses. Yes, we're asking for security purposes. I am most inclined to want to read the code and understand it rather than putting passwords in blindly. I appreciate the mini program, and we tested it in a secure environment, it does as it says. But I cannot know much more.

If it was compiled with an older version of AutoIT I know there are decompile options, but I am less inclined to try to "steal" a program; especially in this community where I believe the goal is to assist each other.

Thanks.

• Voted

• Just for reference if anyone doesn't want to trust the uploaded program without sourcecode, but *does* trust the "Autohotkey" program for whatever reason you can accomplish the same thing with AutoHotkey (https://www.autohotkey.com/).  

The Autohotkey script to accomplish this is simply the following text saved to a text file named. "SendClipboard.ahk".  Then double click that textfile to load it in autohotkey

F3::
    SendRaw %clipboard%

• Hey, so, um, I went a little nuts with AutoHotKey Wink.  Feel free to use this as you see fit (MIT license).  You'll need to download & install Autohotkey to run this .AHK file; however, if you want to compile this into an EXE, you can use AHK2EXE (which is included with the AutoHotkey download) to do so.

Note that this uses Ctrl+Shift+V to do the force-paste (personal preference).

KRC and KLC Force-Paste Helper.txt

; Copyright 2017 Brian Dagan
    ; MIT License:
    ; Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
    ; The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
    ; THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

; If multiple instances are started, this will shut down existing instances and start just this one
    #SingleInstance, force

; Define the application name, icon and text strings
    ApplicationName = KRC and KLC Force-Paste Helper
    ApplicationIconDLL = shell32.dll
    ApplicationIconIndex = 261
    PasteSuccessful = Successfully force-pasted clipboard's contents into foreground window
    PasteFailed = Unable to force-paste clipboard's contents into foreground window (clipboard does not contain text)
    AboutText = A utility to force-paste clipboard's contents into the foreground window, inspired by the Kaseya Community (community.kaseya.com)

; Update the tray icon and tray tip to match the branding above
    Menu, Tray, Icon, %ApplicationIconDLL%, %ApplicationIconIndex%
    Menu, Tray, Tip, %ApplicationName%

; Remove the standard tray icon options and replace with an Exit and About dialog
    Menu, Tray, NoStandard
    Menu, Tray, Add, &About, About
    Menu, Tray, Add, E&xit, Exit

; Set the keystroke delay to 0 (smallest possible delay, normally defaults to 10ms between keystrokes)
    SetKeyDelay, 0

; Fire a force-paste when Ctrl+Shift+V is pressed
    ^+v::
    {
    	; Check the clipboard's format to ensure it contains plain text
    	If DllCall("IsClipboardFormatAvailable", "Uint", 1) {
    		; The clipboard contains plain text... send the keystrokes to the foreground window
    		SendRaw, %Clipboard%
    		TrayTip, %ApplicationName%, %PasteSuccessful%, 5, 49
    	} Else {
    		; The clipboard does not contain plain text, notify the user via. TrayTip
    		TrayTip, %ApplicationName%, %PasteFailed%, 5, 51
    	}
    	Return
    }

About:
    {
    	TrayTip, %ApplicationName%, %AboutText%, 5, 49
    	Return
    }

Exit:
    {
    	ExitApp
    	Return
    }

Added note about Ctrl+Shift+V hotkey being the triggering keystroke combination
    [edited by: Brian Dagan at 1:47 PM (GMT -7) on Apr 12, 2017]