Kaseya Community

Remote Control - Point to Point or still all through server

This question has suggested answer(s)

In K4, when you remoted a machine on your own network, you were able to do a peer-peer connection within your LAN and performance was great.

In K5, peer-peer connection was removed and all remote connections flowed through the KServer.

At 2009 User Conference Kaseya explained that the new version would utilize the KServer only to establish the connection and then the remainder of the session would be peer-peer and not tie up the KServer or Kservers network connection.

In the Help for Remote it mentions "helpers" that are suppose to find the best path, but the best path appears to always be the KServer.   Has anyone confirmed if the peer-peer solution works and if there are any firewall rules that need to be added to allow this?

All Replies
  • same for me. i just opened a ticket on support but nothing yet.

• So I have to retracked some of this.   I did have to open more outbound ports as the UDP connection appears to be dynamic, but the biggest problem is simply waiting for the connection to complete.

Following seems to be the process...

1) Open KLR and you'll see the non-Live Connect items like Agent.

2) Once connection is made to the machine (relayed through KServer) you will see additional items like Desktop and Task Manager.

3) Kaseya then tries to initiate the P2P connection, whiich when it works takes another 5-10 seconds.   If it doesn't work take longer until it stops trying and just continues to use the Relay.

Main issue was thinking that I should see P2P established as soon as I saw all KLR items come up.

• Hello,

You are correct — In the current version, when using Live Connect, the relay is established before you may use one of the features that require a plug-in.

We have some really nice features that will be available in 6.1 (currently in beta). Specifically with the relay, we're doing a couple of things. 1. We're caching successful and failed routes to the client and on connects we'll use this cache data to speed up connection times (significantly). 2. We continually evaluate the connection for speed and latency, then automatically choose the best connection for the job. (i.e. high speed is better for file transfers, even if it has high latency).

Over-all, Live Connect automatically fine-tunes the connection to the client device to ensure the best experience.