Kaseya Community

Anyone else missing by-product grouping?

• It makes denying patches for a specific product VERY difficult and time consuming. If I want to deny patches for Office for example, I have to go through every category, search for Office/Word/Excel/Access/etc. Before, I just had to go to the Office category, click "Select All", and I was done.

Kaseya, please add a "filter by product" function to patch management. You said the new patch method would make it easier to use machine collections, when in my opinion, you've made it much more difficult.

Legacy Forum Name: Anyone else missing by-product grouping?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: nateg
  • Agreed.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: myArch-man
  • Agreed

Legacy Posted By Username: rmccoy@layer3.biz
  • Agreed. This "update" is a step back in my eyes. My patching scores have went from the 90s - 100% to the 70's and 80s with no other changes. Evertying is approved correctly and set up identically to the way it was before. It's really throwing off my executive summaries, which go to clients.

Legacy Posted By Username: jsammons
  • Well, breaking the huge number of patches into groups is a plus, I think. But NOT having it sub-sorted by product is a big minus. Exactly the same issue - I want to look for an Office patch and they're not all together.

As for the patch score, yeah, I was a little ticked that the update came out RIGHT before the Executive Summary reports went out. I had to send out an e-mail explaining to everyone that patch management was just changed and that some patches that ARE installed are showing as NOT installed because they were renamed and untill all the scans come up to date, they'll show wrong (but that should have been only a couple of days at most). The other issue is that a number of not-needed, optional products were being included - which is a nice thing (to be able to install them from within Kaseya), but which lowers the patch score unless they've beein installed. I let everyone know that at the next report (the beginning of December), everything should be right.

You have to go in and see what's missing. Either install those optional products or deny them in an approval list (which SHOULD, in theory, prevent them from showing as "missing" and affecting the score).

Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • I agree with the OP. Takes far more time now.

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonp
  • Agreed! We choose not to manage office patching via kaseya..and we have 7 differnt machine collections that we patch. That means now I need to manuallysearch each collection for office related patches.

Please... Please bring back "sort by product" functionality.

Legacy Posted By Username: camorton
  • Bump for one of the most requested and needed features

Legacy Posted By Username: synergistixdata
  • Yes please!!

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • us as well please , definite step back in time Sad

Legacy Posted By Username: graham lyle
  • I'd love to see a response from kaseya on this.. (hint hint..)

Even if it's not an offical "notice" just some indication that they feel our pain would be nice.

Legacy Posted By Username: camorton
  • By product grouping would be nice but currently the biggest issue is now the default behaviour of denying a patch if it is both approved and denied in two different collections. Effectively makes having the ability to make a machine part of multiple collections redundant.

Legacy Posted By Username: CNelsonT2
  • CNelsonT2 wrote:
    By product grouping would be nice but currently the biggest issue is now the default behaviour of denying a patch if it is both approved and denied in two different collections. Effectively makes having the ability to make a machine part of multiple collections redundant.

This is really no different than NTFS permissions - deny takes precedence. It sounds like your collections are too generic. For example, we have the following collections, they're pretty self explanatory:

All Systems - All patches automatically approved
    Deny Office Updates - Patches require approval
    Deny IE7 - Patches require approval

Having your collections divided by product is what makes deny precedence work. Having by-product grouping is what makes collection management of this type easy.

• camorton wrote:
    I'd love to see a response from kaseya on this.. (hint hint..)

Even if it's not an offical "notice" just some indication that they feel our pain would be nice.

Since the response to this has been 100% positive, I went ahead and submitted a feature request ticket to Kaseya with a link to this thread.

• Kaseya has responded:

This feature request is not possible because the Microsoft Update Catalog is update-centric and not product-centric. While we can identify a general product (e.g., Windows XP vs SQL Server 2005) for a specific machine, the actual patch can apply to multiple products (e.g., Windows XP, Windows 2003, etc.). Therefore, the patch data does not have any product identifiers. This prevents us from grouping by product. The one exception is the ability to identify updates for Office vs. non-Office. Because the Office patch data comes from a different data source (Office Detection Tool rather than the Microsoft Update Catalog), we know they are Office patches and which general version (2000, XP, 2003, 2007). So, we are looking into making a change in an upcoming release to somehow distinguish/filter on Office updates. The change has not neen designed yet, so there is no detailed information about how we will accomplish this.
    Huh? There has to be someone at Kaseya pulling these patches into the DB. Simply looking at the "Applies To" section of the KB article gives all the information necessary to add a product grouping.