Kaseya Community

Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool Script

• OTZ-kscripts.zip
    Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd post a set of scripts to deploy and execute the Outlook TZ Data Update tool. I've been using this successfully at our clients and thought I would share it with the world.

You’ll need to upload the following file as well:

- Outlook TZ tool hotfix (http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/5/b/15bcbfca-5570-4c44-8ddf-e3c4cfa84ed8/tzmove2007-kb933146-fullfile-x86-glb.exe)

You’ll need to make some changes to the scripts to reflect the location of the hotfix.

There are 5 scripts which run the Outlook TZ tool:

1. Outlook TZ - Step 1: This is the script to schedule. This script executes Write File, Write Hotfix and Quiet Install & Run in order.

2. Outlook TZ - Write File – This script checks to see if the tzmove.exe file has been written to the local machine. If it has, then it skips to the end of the script. If not, it contacts Microsoft and downloads the update directly.

3. Outlook TZ - Write Hotfix – This script checks to see if the TZ hotfix file has been written to the local machine. If it has, then it skips to the end of the script. If not, it will download the hotfix file from your KServer.

4. Outlook TZ - Quiet Install & Run – This script checks to see if the user is logged on. If they are, then it will execute the tzmove.exe file with the /quiet and /MAXAPPTS options. It then executes the Log Fetch script. If there is no user logged on, it reschedules itself for 10 minutes in the future.

5. Outlook TZ - Log fetch – This script stores the TZ log file on the KServer and writes the log file contents to the script log.

The other script, Daylight Saving Fix (2000), will install the DST update on Windows NT/2000 machines. You need to obtain the DaylightSavingFix.exe from http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/unofficial-windows-2000-daylight.html.

For more Outlook TZ Tool info:

Outlook TZ Tool - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931667/

Outlook TZ Tool Hotfix - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=933146

Hope that helps!

Legacy Forum Name: Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool Script,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bpenland
  • When I goto import the script I get this:

The IF statement l version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> is not valid

Any ideas?

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Did you do a Folder import or a Script import? The file is a complete folder and needs to be imported through the Folder import command. If you click on 'My Scripts' you can find this down at the bottom of the page labeled 'Import Folder'.

If that doesn't work, let me know. Maybe the formatting of the TXT file is throwing it off.

• Sorry, I was doing a regular import. When I do a folder import and point it at the dst_kscript_backup-20070302.txt file Kaseya takes me to a Page can not be displayed page in the window.

bpenland wrote:
    Did you do a Folder import or a Script import? The file is a complete folder and needs to be imported through the Folder import command. If you click on 'My Scripts' you can find this down at the bottom of the page labeled 'Import Folder'.

If that doesn't work, let me know. Maybe the formatting of the TXT file is throwing it off.

• Sorry, I was doing a regular import. When I do a folder import and point it at the dst_kscript_backup-20070302.txt file Kaseya takes me to a Page can not be Found page in the window.

bpenland wrote:
    Did you do a Folder import or a Script import? The file is a complete folder and needs to be imported through the Folder import command. If you click on 'My Scripts' you can find this down at the bottom of the page labeled 'Import Folder'.

• This is great thank you.. I found a note on the microsoft site that everyone should be aware of when using the tool...

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_topissues

Rapid succession of steps is important:It is preferable to run the Outlook Time Zone Data Update tool or its Exchange counterpart as soon as possible after the time that the Windows operating system time zone patches are applied to all machines. If calendar items between March 11, 2007 and April 1, 2007 are scheduled after the operating system patches are applied but before the tool is run, they will erroneously be moved one hour earlier. To correct such calendar items, organizers should manually update such items to ensure they are scheduled accurately for themselves and all invitees.

Legacy Posted By Username: cberger
  • Bob - when I try to import the folder, it chokes. Can you post a zip with the individual scripts, and I'll just import them?

Thx!

Legacy Posted By Username: dbennett
  • I uploaded the scripts and changed the link in the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

cberger:

There is a hotfix available for the Outlook TZ tool (included with my scripts). The hotfix gives you a switch you canuse called /ONLYCREATEDPREPATCH that will only adjust appointments which were created before the OS patch was installed.

Outlook TZ Update Hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933146

• I missed that.. Thank You.. Do you knowif Microsoft put out a similar hotfix for the Exchange tool which has that switch?

Legacy Posted By Username: cberger
  • bpenland: I imported the 5 scripts, the OTZ tool, and then schedule the Step 1 script and received this.

FAILED in processing THEN step 1, Execute Script, with error Script Not Found
    Script Summary: Failed THEN in step 1
    FAILED in THEN step 1, execute script Outlook TZ - Step 1 (ID = 16439939)

Am I doing something blatantly wrong?

• I got this to work in a round about way by changing the first step in the first script to not run the Log script first, but instead to run the Write script first. Is this working for other people?

Coldfirex wrote:
    bpenland: I imported the 5 scripts, the OTZ tool, and then schedule the Step 1 script and received this.

• What happens if the User is not logged in? Do they have to be logged in?

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • Also, do you have to run this on all the workstations? Even if you've ran the Exchange Update Tool?

Thanks!

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • Take a look at OTZ1.TXT. Kaseya has a problem importing scripts that reference other scripts. Bob noted that within the OTZ1.TXT file itself. You need to fix all three script references in STEP 1

Coldfirex wrote:
    I got this to work in a round about way by changing the first step in the first script to not run the Log script first, but instead to run the Write script first. Is this working for other people?

Coldfirex wrote:
    bpenland: I imported the 5 scripts, the OTZ tool, and then schedule the Step 1 script and received this.

Legacy Posted By Username: dbennett
  • Thanks for the work on this.....don't we also need to run some scripts on the Exchange Servers? I just started researching the whole DST fiasco.

Also, don't the users have to be logged in for this to work correctly? Wouldn't it be better to do the downloads at night and then have it hit another script to check if a user is logged in and if not, to pause for 30 minutes and check again?

Do users have to be admins to run this?

I'm full of questions tonight! What happens if the user has multiple Outlook profiles?

Legacy Posted By Username: nvelocity