Kaseya Community

Using Network Attached External Drive for Patch Files

• I was wondering if there's a way to get patches to be downloaded to a network drive. Given the "issues" with different versions of office requiring different paths to the original installation sources, we've been experimenting with a network drive. I'd like to be able to use this same drive for the location of windows patches for each office. Is this possible?

Legacy Forum Name: Using Network Attached External Drive for Patch Files,
    Legacy Posted By Username: carlosmp
  • Hi Carlos,

I've been wondering this too. We want to use the NAS drives at our customer locations to store the patches, but in the file source it asks you for a local drive path on the server (I don't know why they require that, seems kind of redundant to me since you give it a UNC path...but whatever). It would be nice to be able to use a NAS drive to install patches from, that way it doesn't hog server space or bandwidth.

Feature request for 4.9??

Ryan

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ryan.parlee
  • You can do exactly what you are describing by just mapping a drive to the unc path of the NAS device.

Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: cleach2637
  • Wouldn't a user need to be logged in so that the drive is mapped? Drives are only mapped when a user has logged in (to my knowledge).

Ryan

Legacy Posted By Username: ryan.parlee
  • From my understanding, the file source server must have an agent on it. Doing a drive mapping may be a solution however I cannot confirm nor deny this will work, I'm simply going off what i have read.

Legacy Posted By Username: tsorensen
  • i have been trying to get this to work as well....

Mapping the unc path of theNAS to a drive letter on the file server doesnt work... (i guess an iscsi NAS might work)

This is a shame because 500gb NAS boxes with gig ethernet are really cheap these days (less than £100) ..... we were considering giving them to our customers when they signed up to patch management.

This would have enabled us to deploy patch management easily as part of our services..

Legacy Posted By Username: primalooze
  • I've went the route of of DAS rather than NAS with some great results. Same as NAS boxes (built in raid controller for Raid etc)but with a eSATA/USB2/ Firewire connection to your managed machine. Only difference is you manage it through an app on the machine rather than through the usual linux/webbased interface for the networked versions. The drive itself just appears as another disk on the machine

Legacy Posted By Username: CNelsonT2