Kaseya Community

How to start Patch Management,What is Initial Update ,etc ?

• Hi I am a new to kaseya, I have some basic doubts,please gimme some light

What is initial update? When should we do this ?

What is Machine Update ?

What is PAtch Update ?

What is Patch Approval ?

What is Automatic Update ?

Legacy Forum Name: How to start Patch Management,What is Initial Update ,etc ?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vineethshyam
  • Hi,

I recommend you to follow up the Kaseya Course:

http://www.kaseya.coursehost.com

Regards,

Angel.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: angel.amores
  • Also, the Help for each of these functions is not a bad place to start.

Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • Rather then pushing you to the documention or training I'll answer your questions:

What is initial update? When should we do this ?

This automates the patchprocess needed to get a system toa fully patched statequickly.During initial update process the system will reboot as needed to complete the patching process.There is no warning prior tothe reboots. I recommend using this option to get any system that is missinga lot ofpatches and/or service packs patched quickly.Otherwise it may take several patch cyclesbefore it isfully patched.

What is Machine Update ?

This allows you todeplypatches/service packson a single machine at a time. Useful when you have a few systems you want to deploypatches on.

What is Patch Update ?

This allows you deploy a specific patch(es) to the machines that need it. This is handy if you need to quickly deploya patch due to a known exploit.Use the machines button to only deployto some of the machines needing the patch.

What is Patch Approval ?

Patch approval is used with machine groups to determine what patches will be deployed to a machine. This gives you control over when and whatpatch(es) will be deployed.Recently Kaseya addeda patch entry to deploy the update to IE7. If you do not want the IE 7 update deployed yet then do not approve it until your ready to support it. Another example if IE7 doesn't work with an application a client has, create a new machine group and approve all patchesexcept IE7 update then add the clients machines to the new machine group. Remember a machine can be a member or multiple machine groups.

What is Automatic Update ?

This automatically deploys anypatches, orapproved patches if yourusing patch approval, based on a schedule you set. If you set automatic update for 9pm then thosemachines will deploythe patches, or recently approved patchesif using patch approval, the next time the scheduled time occurs.

Good luck!

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • >>Hi I am a new to kaseya, I have some basic doubts,please gimme some light
    >>What is initial update? When should we do this ?
    Initial update is for when you first get a client workstation and want to patch it up to date as of that day. You should do this AFTER HOURS or unless the user doesn't want to work at that station since it repeately updates and reboots the machine. When you're done the machine should be up to date and ready to be occasionally patched.

>>What is Machine Update ?
    This shows you what patches aren't installed on a particular machine. You can cancel/install individual patches on a machine.

>>What is PAtch Update ?
    This gives you more of an overview from a patch standpoint rather than a machine one like your question above.

>>What is Patch Approval ?
    Well, unless you want untested upgrades like IE7 installed at all your customer locations, mark all patches as pending approval and approve them individually. This is very important for server machine groups.

>>What is Automatic Update ?
    This dis/enables the Windows Automatic Update feature. If you were planning on setting Kaseya on automatically approving patches you might as well just use Windows Automatic Update. It does the same thing.

Legacy Posted By Username: extremejm
  • extremejm wrote:
    This dis/enables the Windows Automatic Update feature. If you were planning on setting Kaseya on automatically approving patches you might as well just use Windows Automatic Update. It does the same thing.

Automatic updatedeploys all approved patches at a schedule time. For example, patch this system at 9pm every day if it is missing any approved patches.

The Windows Auto Update option on the Patch Management tab allows you control the Windows Update settings on the system. It's recommended you disable Windows Updates if your planning on using Kaseya to patch the system.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • connectex wrote:
    extremejm wrote:

Automatic updatedeploys all approved patches at a schedule time. For example, patch this system at 9pm every day if it is missing any approved patches.

The Windows Auto Update option on the Patch Management tab allows you control the Windows Update settings on the system. It's recommended you disable Windows Updates if your planning on using Kaseya to patch the system.
    Correct. My bad. I was speaking about Windows Auto Update. And yes, my point was that if you were going to have Kaseya auto approve all the patches, 4.7 will now include optional components so Windows Update would be the same thing. Either way you are correct, pick one, they're not good together.

Legacy Posted By Username: extremejm