Kaseya Community

MS06-017

• MS06-017 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS06-017.mspx

This patch is failing to install on all my servers... anyone else having this issue?

Legacy Forum Name: MS06-017,
    Legacy Posted By Username: BenT
  • Yes, I have a support ticket on this issue. Here's the latest reply I got back from Kaseya:

Hi Matt,

According to the patchscn.xml file on these servers, the problem is due to a missing file on their system. Windows Server 2003 SP1 automatically installs FrontPage 2002 server extentions as part of the OS, so they would have it installed even if they did nothing. The detection problem is caused by the missing file resulting in the false positive.

Our patch developer has fixed this with a minor tweak to the detection logic. The fix will be in the Patch Tuesday update to be released sometime on Wednesday, Jan 10.

Thanks for brining this to our attention.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Very good, thank you for sharing.

Legacy Posted By Username: BenT
  • Kaseya's MS06-017 update helped. However, I still have two servers it thinks needs this patch, but they don't. Anyone else still have servers complaining they need the MS06-017 patch?

• I found the following MS article to be helpful as I had the same experience with this patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925698/en-us

In the article it refers to a registry key that did not exist on the servers that were reporting the patch installation as a failure. Once I created the entire registry string as the article states I was then able to successfully apply the patch.

Joe

Legacy Posted By Username: edisystems
  • Ok, interesting. However, I'd hope Kaseya would correct their patch detection routine. Both servers were originally builtwith Windows 2003 Server. So it's not an upgrade related issue. Both servers have IIS 6 installed. Front Page extensions were not selectedwhenIIS was installed. Windows Update does not claim the MS06-017 patch is missing. Kaseya's patch detection logic should yeild the same results as Windows update.