Kaseya Community

Managing O365 updates

This question is answered

Hello, 

Is it possible to management Office 365 updates using Kaseya’s Patch Management? If so, kindly assist.

Kind Regards,

Brian Oluoch

Verified Answer
  • Short answer - no.

Longer answer - AFAIK right now the only tools that can reliably manage Office CTR updates are Microsoft's own products (SCCM working alongside WSUS). That said you can probably leverage Kaseya agent procedures to help with configuring *some* aspects of management, e.g. updating registry keys to control whether updates are enabled or disabled, or using agent procedures to implement parts of this guide blogs.technet.microsoft.com/.../managing-updates-for-office-365-proplus-part-2

Hope this helps.

• Thanks a lot Combo for your feedback, highly appreciated.

All Replies
  • Short answer - no.

Longer answer - AFAIK right now the only tools that can reliably manage Office CTR updates are Microsoft's own products (SCCM working alongside WSUS). That said you can probably leverage Kaseya agent procedures to help with configuring *some* aspects of management, e.g. updating registry keys to control whether updates are enabled or disabled, or using agent procedures to implement parts of this guide blogs.technet.microsoft.com/.../managing-updates-for-office-365-proplus-part-2

Hope this helps.

• Thanks a lot Combo for your feedback, highly appreciated.

• Were you able to create an agent procedure from this (to update o365 or set to auto update)?

I'm trying to understand this microsoft article but am a bit confused

• Lookin at the Kaseya "Software Management Content Quarterly" document I have received it seems it supports Office 365 updates. I'm pretty sure this is the "paid" part of the product.

I believe this may also have peer-to-peer update distribution, saving on bandwidth.

Anyone using this??

• Elliot, yes i did manage to have a procedure to facilitate O365 auto update as highlighted in the Microsoft article.

Though, instead of using the Windows task scheduler, i created two procedures,

1. For downloading new O365 releases every second Thursday of the month, that is a day after patch Tuesday, to a share - these are available to the testing group - as defined on the O365 configuration.xml file update path.

2. Transferring the earlier downloaded O365 release after 2 weeks to a separate share that is available to the Production group - also define in the separate configuration.xml for this group.

In essence, both groups testing and production will use different configuration.xml file when installing, these xml files will be having to different updates paths.

This process requires occasional cleanup so as not fill the storages with older releases.

Hope this helps.

Brian

• Brian,

Is it possible to create a single script that downloads and runs the update? Sometime a little more simple.

I dont have the need for downloading to a share and pulling from there. We're using this on a smaller scale and most of them are laptops in remote locations.

• Elliot,

Then you don't need an agent procedure to download the updates and install on the machines. You can just configure your Office365 to update automatically during installation. This way, your office applications will periodically auto update whenever updates are released by Microsoft.

Use of agent procedures for downloading the updates is best for an office environment where you would like to save on bandwidth by limiting individuals machines from downloading updates on their own.

For already installed Office, you can confirm if the auto update is enabled by checking on File>Account>Update Options.

When installing Office365 ProPlus, are you using the offline packaged version or are you installing through use if the xml file?

• is there a way to check the auto update setting through kaseya? registry key, etc?

I ran a report and found a number of computer are not on the newest update so i want to make sure everyone is set to auto update. Cant really say how they were installed because all were done individually over time. Some by other MSPs then acquired by us.