Kaseya Community

Windows 10 Creators Update - available?

• I've seen questions on how to block Windows 10 Creators Update from updating via Kaseya.  But so far, I have not seen it available in our avail patches.  Does anyone know if this will be coming via the KB that has been used for other updates (3012973)?  We would like it to deploy.

• I'd like to see the same.  If you come across it, let me know!

• Patch management is unable to effectively control windows 10 patches - and never has. You can audit machines and apply patches to a schedule, but you cannot control WU effectively or completely.

10 is a complex beast - start here docs.microsoft.com/.../waas-manage-updates-wufb

In short, you need to control via registry or group policy which branch you're on (insider, mainsteam, CBB, LTSB etc) . you also need to accept that Creators will eventually be forced upon you...you can only delay the inevitable e.g. by being on CBB.

To put win10 into CBB mode, see windowsitpro.com/.../configure-machine-use-current-branch-business-windows-10

• Thanks.  But I'm not looking to slow Windows 10 updates.  I'm wondering why the latest feature update (Creators) isn't showing in Kaseya.  

• Further to Craig's comments - Kaseya's patch management cannot (and as far as I'm aware will never) handle *upgrades* of Windows 10. Despite the name the Creators Update is actually a Windows 10 *upgrade* - a new full build of Windows 10 installed over the top of itself. Windows Update handles this process through its deep integration with the Windows servicing stack but Kaseya's patch management doesn't integrate at this level.

There are a few solutions I've seen so far:

1. Use Kaseya to *allow* automatic updates to run rather than blocking automatic update. Downside is you get little ability to control if/when the upgrade might happen, as Craig points out.

2. Use the latest media and either kick off the upgrade manually or via a script. I've had limited success with scripting upgrades (i.e. worked on 5 out of 30 machines, I suspect due to old KAV) but in theory it's do-able.

3. Use the update assistant - support.microsoft.com/.../windows-10-update-assistant - it's a simple process the end user can follow but it needs to be run manually. I note that Microsoft recently released an update that will warn/prompt end users still on build 1507 to run the update assistant - you *can* deploy this via Kaseya (search your VSA's patch management for KB3159635, more on this here - support.microsoft.com/.../4023814). Downside is this doesn't support Enterprise edition, and you may need to get the end user involved.

I haven't had a chance to play with Kaseya's new 'software management' module - it's in beta at the moment and I believe will eventually replace the legacy 'patch management' module. I'm dearly hoping (but doubtful) this will natively support Windows 10 upgrades. It would be great if someone who knows more about the new module can comment further.

• An update on this - the Windows 10 Update Assistant (see link above) does in fact support silent installation, like this:

Windows10Upgrade.exe /QuietInstall /SkipEULA 

We've created a procedure that uses the 'executefile' step and runs the above as 'system' and so far upgraded about a dozen machines from earlier Windows 10 builds. Be aware the download is around 2.5GB which includes the OS and the latest cumulative updates that get installed as part of the upgrade process. Also note it doesn't support Windows 10 Enterprise.

• Craig Hart

Patch management is unable to effectively control windows 10 patches - and never has. You can audit machines and apply patches to a schedule, but you cannot control WU effectively or completely.

10 is a complex beast - start here docs.microsoft.com/.../waas-manage-updates-wufb

In short, you need to control via registry or group policy which branch you're on (insider, mainsteam, CBB, LTSB etc) . you also need to accept that Creators will eventually be forced upon you...you can only delay the inevitable e.g. by being on CBB.

To put win10 into CBB mode, see windowsitpro.com/.../configure-machine-use-current-branch-business-windows-10

thanks for that information.

• This works but the drawback is that it presents the user with the OOB experience.  So the user will have to decide privacy settings and Cortana, which creates support calls.  Anyone find a way to run the Windows10upgrade.exe with commands of your choosing rather than the default that the Windows10Upgrade.exe does (it's using commands from the ISO's setup.exe)?   From what I've seen only these two switches are available, /QuietInstall /SkipEULA.

I've done the ISO in the past with a full suite of command line options.  That method also allows me to reboot with a warning and bypass the OOB Experience as well as other items.

Also from what I've heard the new Software Deployment module is looking to do these Win10 version upgrades too.  But I haven't seen a demo or kicked the tires myself.

Thanks

• I don’t have the time to be able to go into great detail of what I have done but I have been able to automate the upgrade process to the Creators update using a combination of views, policy, custom fields, and agent procedures to automate the upgrade process.  I upgrade using the media and running command switches against the setup.exe.  Below is an overview of how I configured desktops and laptops.

Desktops

-------------

1. A combination of a view and policy will schedule the file drop of the installation media for the creator update version of windows.

2. Once the file drop is complete it will update a custom field.  It will then leave the file drop view and policy.  It will then enter the trigger policy and view and schedule the update to occur during our maintenance window.

3. Once it is done I have a cleanup that is run and it gathers the start and finish time of the upgrade process, and cleans up the files.

Laptops

-----------

1. A combination of a view and policy will schedule the file drop of the installation media for the creator update version of windows.

2. I created my own Windows 10 Update Utility that will automatically elevate the utility to an administrator so they can perform the update on their own schedule, as they are only standard users.  We also prompt them to perform these steps at the Control Alt Delete screen.

3. Once it is done I have a cleanup that is run and it gathers the start and finish time of the upgrade process, and cleans up the files.

• Yeah that's basically how I'm doing it as well.  Pre-deploy media, a bunch of other prep scripts, running the setup.exe, then clean up after.  The install files are pretty big but looking at Windows 10 patch files it's not that much bigger.  Was curious if there was a simpler way.  It was much easier with Service Packs being able to deploy from Kaseya.  

• Yeah that's basically how I'm doing it as well.  Pre-deploy media, a bunch of other prep scripts, running the setup.exe, then clean up after.  The install files are pretty big but looking at Windows 10 patch files it's not that much bigger.  Was curious if there was a simpler way.  It was much easier with Service Packs being able to deploy from Kaseya.