Kaseya Community

Delete individual patch from LAN Cache and refresh?

This question is answered

Hi Guys,

I am testing Patch Management using LAN Cache and it all looks to be working well. 

I have one instance with a dodgy patch, KB2830477, which apparently was a M$oft stuff up and it was re-released. 

I followed though the advice in this thread, https://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/30/t/19785.aspx, which did the trick but the LAN Cache introduces another step.

I found and deleted the patch files in the LAN Cache and kicked off the Patch Install on 1 PC. The PC downloaded and installed the patch without error this time but it looks like it pulled it from the Internet rather than forcing the LAN Cache to pull it down again.

Is there something I am missing here? Is this possible or would you have to Clear the whole Cache in order for it to re-populate?

Verified Answer

To force a patch to redownload to the file source, you just need to delete that single patch and then run an install from an endpoint referencing that file source (in this case the LAN Cache) and that needs the patch in question.  You do not need to clear the entire LAN Cache.  However, if MS has re-released a patch, it is possible that the download location has change or that the patch does not have a suitable distributable version and, therefore, must be installed using the Windows Update Agent (WUA).  Kaseya can leverage WUA to perform the install, but this would prevent the patch from populating on the LAN Cache.

I recommend you open a ticket with support so your specific configuration can be investigated.  There are several variables - file source configuration, LAN Cache availability at the time up patch update cycle, need for the patch, patch file type (msi, msu, exe, cab, something else, or no distributable file at all), and patch download location can all play varying parts in the behavior you're reporting.  Because of this, it is best to get a technician to look at what's happening in your specific environment.  

All Replies

To force a patch to redownload to the file source, you just need to delete that single patch and then run an install from an endpoint referencing that file source (in this case the LAN Cache) and that needs the patch in question.  You do not need to clear the entire LAN Cache.  However, if MS has re-released a patch, it is possible that the download location has change or that the patch does not have a suitable distributable version and, therefore, must be installed using the Windows Update Agent (WUA).  Kaseya can leverage WUA to perform the install, but this would prevent the patch from populating on the LAN Cache.

I recommend you open a ticket with support so your specific configuration can be investigated.  There are several variables - file source configuration, LAN Cache availability at the time up patch update cycle, need for the patch, patch file type (msi, msu, exe, cab, something else, or no distributable file at all), and patch download location can all play varying parts in the behavior you're reporting.  Because of this, it is best to get a technician to look at what's happening in your specific environment.  

• Hi Brande,

Thanks for the reply. I actually worked this out a little while after the post but could not update it until it had been accepted.

Everything is working as expected, the bit that wasn't was because I Removed the Patch Location for that KB which obviously forces any end point to get it directly from the internet bypassing the LAN Cache.

I tested this with another patch. Deleted it from the LAN Cache and pushed out the patch to a PC. I saw the LAN Cache repopulate.

Thanks again.