Kaseya Community

Outlook Junk Email Filter updates missing

• I used to regularly approve the Junk Email Filter updates for Outlook 2007 and 2010, however lately I've noticed that the updates for 2010 are no longer present through Kaseya's patch management by policy.

Example:

Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013 have new junk email filter updates for June 2015, KB3054891, 3054883 and 3054786 respectively.  Only the update for Outlook 2007 appears when filtering our patch policy for this KB#.  We have hundreds of client machines using all three of these versions and we patch scan at least once a week.  Does Kaseya no longer support Outlook 2010 and 2013 junk email filter updates?

I'm interested in seeing if those three KB#'s above show up for anyone else?

Thanks,

Erik Mendes

KB3015642 is May 2015's Outlook 2010 junk email filter update that does not show up.

Added second patch
    [edited by: emendes at 4:48 PM (GMT -7) on Jul 1, 2015]
  • emendes,

Kaseya supports patches that Microsoft releases into its update catalogue (calalog.update.microsoft.com) EXCEPT those with a classification of Device Driver or Definition Update (see helpdesk.kaseya.com/.../36010308-Unsupported-Patch-Classifications-Definition-Updates-i-e-MS-Defender-MS-Forefront-and-Device-Drivers for information).

In checking the MS Catalog for the KB numbers you've provided, all except KB3054891 are classified by MS as Definition Updates (KB3054891 is classified as a Critical Update).  Because Kaseya does not support Device Drivers or Definition Updates, you will not see those patches MS releases with these classifications populate in the VSA.

Regarding KB3054891, please review helpdesk.kaseya.com/.../34399846-Why-can-t-I-see-a-patch-in-my-VSA-that-I-know-has-been-released-by-Microsoft- for information as to why this patch may not be visible on your system.

• Strange that Outlook 2007 junk email filter updates are classified as critical updates and 2010/2013 are considered definition updates.  Well, at least that answers my question.  Would it be possible to request that these Outlook 2010/2013 definition updates be added back to Kaseya Patch Management as an exception to the definition rule?  I'm fairly sure that I used to approve *both* Outlook 2007 and 2010 filter updates until just a few months ago.

Even though we have third party spam filtering services on our client mail servers, it was still nice to provide that extra layer of spam filtering through these definition updates.

Thanks for the quick reply, Brande

[edited by: emendes at 5:31 PM (GMT -7) on Jul 1, 2015]
  • emendes,

You're quite welcome.  

You could certainly request this, but it is not a trivial change.  It would require some significant coding changes to the kptchmgt.dll file (the Kaseya file which interacts with Microsoft's Windows Update Agent (WUA) through wua.api) and, possibly, to the VSA code, as well.  I would not expect anything in the short term.  If that is something you would be interested in pursuing, your best bet will be to submit a feature request.  

In the interim, you could always create an Agent Procedure to download and install these patches outside of the Kaseya Patch Management process.  Your easiest route would be to use the Patch Deploy function, since this will build much of the AP for you (though you could certainly build it from scratch on your own).  The caveat to this is you will need to appropriately determine which machines need/qualify for which patches.  Since Kaseya won't return these as missing, you will need to identify a method for determining which machines need which patches.  One option is to log into the machines and run a local "Check for Updates" through Control Panel > Windows Update, which will give you the patch KB number needed, but you will need to determine which "flavor" is appropriate, if there are multiple versions of any given KB.