Kaseya Community

Does Windows Automatic Update overwrite Policy Mangement settings

This question is answered

If there is a Policy set at the global org level which manages Kaseya Patch settings and there are a few workstations which the customer wants to manage patching locally with Windows Automatic Update:

1) Will selecting "User control - Let machine users control Windows Automatic Update." under "Windows Automatic Update" overwrite the settings in the policy?

2) Is there a way to create and apply a Policy and assign it to the specific computers which will do the same as above?

Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • 1) Yes, it will overwrite the policy. It will however be changed back the next time you clear manual and reapply the policy. I recommend doing this about once a month if you have technicians that have access to make these changes. We use policy basically as a GPO that is the end answer to any changes, temporary or otherwise, a technician may make.

2) This is really the best way. If this is a one off situation, create a policy for that specific client and apply manually to the machines you want to change. A manually applied policy will toke preference over a globally assigned one.

We have our policy folders lined out like you would for AD.

Client specific > A-C > "A-Client Name" >

Under the client name we have "Sites", for LAN cache, "General", for all client machines and "Manual" for instances like yours.

It's a great system if you take the time to organize it.

All Replies
  • 1) Yes, it will overwrite the policy. It will however be changed back the next time you clear manual and reapply the policy. I recommend doing this about once a month if you have technicians that have access to make these changes. We use policy basically as a GPO that is the end answer to any changes, temporary or otherwise, a technician may make.

2) This is really the best way. If this is a one off situation, create a policy for that specific client and apply manually to the machines you want to change. A manually applied policy will toke preference over a globally assigned one.

We have our policy folders lined out like you would for AD.

Client specific > A-C > "A-Client Name" >

Under the client name we have "Sites", for LAN cache, "General", for all client machines and "Manual" for instances like yours.

It's a great system if you take the time to organize it.

• As always you rock Matt!

And I agree. Policy Management is great as is Group Policy. I don't know why everyone doesn't use it!