Kaseya Community

Reboot Required

This question is answered

Anyone know how this prompt actually comes up within the Patch status screen because its very inconsistent in its validity.

For instance, I have a machine that has this in the event logs on a Windows 2008 Machine:

Servicing requires reboot after KBxxxx

When I look at the patch status page though, it doesn't show that the machine needs a reboot, although I do have it send me an email after patching and of course it states a Post-Patch reboot is required.

However I suspect that the Post-Patch email is just generic in that it sends out that regardless...

Verified Answer
  • Mark,

All of the functions of Patch Reboot (as far as Kaseya is concerned) will vary based on your Reboot Action configuration.  Most of these questions are addressed in the Patch TechJam I presented last month (recorded presentation and slide deck is available here:  community.kaseya.com/.../kaseya-patch-management.aspx).  If you check out the recorded presentation and jump to the 39:11 mark of that presentation, that will take you right to the Reboot Action information.  

I do recommend reviewing that info as it will provide some additional detail.  The overview is:

IF the selected reboot action causes a pre-reboot preliminary patch rescan to run AND that prelim rescan detects all of the scheduled patches are no longer listed as missing, Kaseya will not require a reboot.  Windows might still prefer a reboot, BUT that reboot is not required in order for the patch to be detected as installed.

The email that sends out the alert regarding a post-install reboot is part of a script that is built at the BEGINNING of the patching process - before Kaseya knows whether a reboot will be required.  The email is informational, and you can edit that email to be more appropriate ("The patch process completed on serverX.  You should check to see whether this endpoint requires a reboot after patching." or something along those lines.).  Customize the email on the Patch Management > Reboot Action page by clicking the "Format Email" button on the "Do Not Reboot..." option.  If you have this option selected, the email will be sent regardless of whether the prelim rescan detects the patches as installed or missing.

If the prelim rescan finds that all patches that had been scheduled for install are no longer missing, you will NOT see the "reboot now" button on the patch status page.  If the prelim rescan finds that a patch that was missing and therefore scheduled for installation is STILL missing after the prelim rescan, then you WILL see the "reboot now" button.  That only applies for those reboot actions which will run that preliminary rescan (some additional detail regarding that is available in KKB000893).

Let me know if you have additional questions after reviewing that info and I can provide additional detail.

Brande

All Replies
  • Mark,

All of the functions of Patch Reboot (as far as Kaseya is concerned) will vary based on your Reboot Action configuration.  Most of these questions are addressed in the Patch TechJam I presented last month (recorded presentation and slide deck is available here:  community.kaseya.com/.../kaseya-patch-management.aspx).  If you check out the recorded presentation and jump to the 39:11 mark of that presentation, that will take you right to the Reboot Action information.  

I do recommend reviewing that info as it will provide some additional detail.  The overview is:

IF the selected reboot action causes a pre-reboot preliminary patch rescan to run AND that prelim rescan detects all of the scheduled patches are no longer listed as missing, Kaseya will not require a reboot.  Windows might still prefer a reboot, BUT that reboot is not required in order for the patch to be detected as installed.

The email that sends out the alert regarding a post-install reboot is part of a script that is built at the BEGINNING of the patching process - before Kaseya knows whether a reboot will be required.  The email is informational, and you can edit that email to be more appropriate ("The patch process completed on serverX.  You should check to see whether this endpoint requires a reboot after patching." or something along those lines.).  Customize the email on the Patch Management > Reboot Action page by clicking the "Format Email" button on the "Do Not Reboot..." option.  If you have this option selected, the email will be sent regardless of whether the prelim rescan detects the patches as installed or missing.

If the prelim rescan finds that all patches that had been scheduled for install are no longer missing, you will NOT see the "reboot now" button on the patch status page.  If the prelim rescan finds that a patch that was missing and therefore scheduled for installation is STILL missing after the prelim rescan, then you WILL see the "reboot now" button.  That only applies for those reboot actions which will run that preliminary rescan (some additional detail regarding that is available in KKB000893).

Let me know if you have additional questions after reviewing that info and I can provide additional detail.

Brande