Kaseya Community

Modify "Patch Nag Reboot" dialog text?

• We have a client that's open and in business 24x7.  This makes for some interesting patch cycles, as pretty much any workstation in their company could be in use at any time around the clock.

I like the "If user is logged in ask to reboot every xx minutes..." option but I would love to modify the default text in that dialog to give more detail.  This particular company has users that get startled by just about ANYTHING they don't expect, and it would be great if we could change the text to provide a bit more detail ("Hi, this is Acme Co IT---don't be alarmed, we've just run some updates on your system, but we need to reboot it now. Can we please do that now, or should we alert you again in 15 minutes?..." )

Any way to modify that text?

• There should definitely be a way to do that.

If you edit the script, there should be an If statement in there that says "User Responds <Yes/No> <Text that is displayed in prompt> All you have to do is edit the text in the <text that is displayed prompt> to whatever you desire. That should accomplish what you want done.

• DNeuwir, Matt,

While there isn't a way to do this today, we are looking at the feasibility of adding this level of functionality in a future release.

Today, you could potentially add an agent procedure as a to run before Patch Reboot.  Create a procedure that notifies the end user and allows them to respond.  Ensure the arguments allow for an affirmitive (OK to reboot now, which will lead to an immediate reboot) and a decline (Ask me again later) which will loop if the user opts for the decline option.  The loop would continue until the user selects the affirmitive option.  That would end the procedure. Once the procedure ends, the Reboot action will complete.

You can assign a procedure to occur prior to a reboot on the Patch Management > Reboot Action page.  This requires some work and testing, but would allow you to offer this customization to your users today.  

Alternatively, you can of course proceed with things as they are and just wait until we include this functionality into the product (no ETA at this point).

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Brande

• DNeuwir

We have a client that's open and in business 24x7.  This makes for some interesting patch cycles, as pretty much any workstation in their company could be in use at any time around the clock.

I like the "If user is logged in ask to reboot every xx minutes..." option but I would love to modify the default text in that dialog to give more detail.  This particular company has users that get startled by just about ANYTHING they don't expect, and it would be great if we could change the text to provide a bit more detail ("Hi, this is Acme Co IT---don't be alarmed, we've just run some updates on your system, but we need to reboot it now. Can we please do that now, or should we alert you again in 15 minutes?..." )

Any way to modify that text?

Since you want to add this message to the reboot action you disable the Patch reboot action and replace it with a Post Patch Procedure that will give them the information if they are logged on and reboot the machine.

I do something similar by mainly using the Pre/Post Patch Procedure function.

The Agent Procedure I made basically checks if anybody is logged on and then lets them know if they are that the system was scheduled to be patched and need to be rebooted after it is done. If a reboot is required they get notified via the Patch Reboot function.

I then use the use Pre/Post Patch Procedure function again to trigger a Procedure that checks if anybody is logged in and update them if they are that the patch process is complete or power the machine off if they are not and if the current time is outside their office hours to save them power.

I had to add additional functionality to the messaging as some of our clients don't like popup messages and prefer to get email alerts. I used a Managed variable to configure this per machine group.

• Hi Brande,

I'm looking to modify the default patch nag reboot dialog text. I see you mentioned back in 2012 this was on the distant horizon for adding into the product. Is this feature now available?

thanks,

Bob