A number of machines have reported failure to apply KB2508958, on running this path manually it reports that 'There are no products affected by this package installed on this system'
I notice the Microsoft website at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4D88A671-16EC-4E7F-9D38-073CA04AEF1B&displaylang=sr&displaylang=ensays -----
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP
Not sure if it is relevant but the server in question is Server 2k7
I am also facing issue of this Patch failure..but it gets installed after applying windows Auto Update..
any suggestions for Denying it??
We have this patch failing for many endpoints as well. Installing manually via Windows Update works fine, but isn't an option for so many endpoints. Anyone find a fix?
I've been experience the same issue. I noticed when I ran windows updates on the failing machine, the file size for patch KB2508958 was 45kb, not the 1.4 MB on www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx. After noticing this I went into the Kaseya Patch location for KB2508958 and cleared the download location (forcing it to be internet-based install only). Thus far in my testing this has resolved the issue.
It sounds like the issue here is with the downloadable installer provided by Microsoft for the update. We have seen cases where it can be run successfully but, according to the Windows Update Agent (the scanning engine used by both Windows Update and Kaseya), the update is not fully applied. In this case you can use the above workaround to deploy the patch from Kaseya. The exact steps are: -
1) go to Patch Parameters > Patch Location function
2) select the patch and click the Remove button - this will set the patch to "Internet-based Install Only"
3) now when you deploy this patch from Kaseya it will use the Windows Update Agent (WUA) to install the update instead of a downloadable installer. The File Source configuration is not applied for patches with this status
I have also seen a recent report of KB2509470 having this issue.
We were having trouble with KB2509470 as well, but it appears to have been re-released. I deleted that one from the file source and then after it re-downloaded it, it worked fine.
As for KB2508958, I can't use the workaround you propose because these options aren't available in the SAAS product. The only way I know to get these rogue Office patches to install is to change file source to Internet and then manually run an Automatic Update. And the only way you can do that is to "Schedule" an immediate update. That of course clears out your normal schedule and you have to reset all of that afterwards. I requested a "Run Now" button on the Automatic Update tab a while back.
For now I've denied this patch and have been keeping an eye on it. Funny irony about this is that the patch supposedly "decreases installation failures for updates installed on Microsoft Office 2007 System"