Kaseya Community

Patch files and folders Not Being Deleted

• Hi Everyone

we are using Kaseyas patch managment and we have told it to delete the files once it has completed the updates
    but we are noticing that on windows 7 this does not happening.

for example

c:\e5234cd123f5400c99dae9b32300\ are staying on the pc and are not being deleted.

any help would be great.

Thanks

Shaun

• Hi sobits

The random folders you see are generated by the patches when they execute and extract. The patch files that Kaseya removes are the ones downloaded to the working folder (c:\kworking\...) after they get executed. I get annoyed with those random extracted patch folder too, you would think that they would clean up after themselves...

So in short the issue is a Microsoft issue and not a Kaseya issue.

[edited by: HardKnoX at 2:58 PM (GMT -8) on 1-20-2011] typo
  • Hi HardKnox,

if that was so wouldn't we see these folders on clients computers that don't have kaseya ?

i have just checked 5 machines not running kaseya and i do not see these folders

i was under the impression that microsoft patches can be extracted to a specific directory rather than just to the root drive and to a random folder name..

if so why cant kaseya extract it to c:\kworking\mspatch001 then delete it after ?

• I have seen those random "c:\e5234cd123f5400c99dae9b32300\" folders on non-Kaseya managed machines using WSUS or that has configured Windows Updates too, however if the machines you looked at did not have any patch management configured then you won't see those folders unless somebody manually updates them.

If I understand the process correctly all that happens when Kaseya does the patch management is it downloads the patch files to the Agent Temp Dir  (aka c:\kworking) executes them and once it is completed deletes the patch file from the Agent Temp Dir. Manipulating where the patches extract to is not always possible as this is depended on the patch file it self.

Also some patches are compressed twice, the first compression is simply to make it an easy to download single file and when executed it extracts the setup files which in turn extracts again when the setup files are executed.

Sorry I can't give you a fix, just sharing what I have learned about this issue, If you still believe this is a Kaseya issue contact Kaseya Support and see what they say.

• thanks for your reply HardKnoX

:)