Kaseya Community

KB982331 Failures

• Okay, so, Patch Tuesday, and the customary round of hundreds of tickets that pop up every night because Kaseya seems to have a major problem with just successfully launching a file.

The last two night's menace: KB982331.

Any ideas on the best way to roll this out to 175 "failed" systems without having to manually log in and WindowsUpdate each one?

I've already tried a script which sends the file to the workstation and launches it with the /quiet /norestart switches, and it does not appear to roll the patch out. It appears to terminate successfully, but WindowsUpdate still shows the patch as needed.

Anyone else figured this one out?

Legacy Forum Name: KB982331 Failures,
    Legacy Posted By Username: DNeuwir
  • DNeuwir
    Okay, so, Patch Tuesday, and the customary round of hundreds of tickets that pop up every night because Kaseya seems to have a major problem with just successfully launching a file.

Any ideas on the best way to roll this out to 175 "failed" systems without having to manually log in and WindowsUpdate each one?

I've already tried a script which sends the file to the workstation and launches it with the /quiet /norestart switches, and it does not appear to roll the patch out. It appears to terminate successfully, but WindowsUpdate still shows the patch as needed.

We keep a handful of test boxes to sort things like this out... normally it's a bad switch, so I do a scripted solution, I'd be more than happy to share it with you but my scripting engine (aka procedure page) is broken atm and we're working with Kaseya to get it fixed. so I've got about a half dozen or so patch scripts to write to get caught up correctly.

Seeing as you've already tried a scripted solution have you dug through the event logs to see if it's caught the exit code? Or it might actually require a reboot... There is also the very outside possibility that you're missing a prereq for it.

Also what OS is are you installing on? Teh interwebz says that on Vista/7 UAC causes this patch some greif.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • We have test groups across many clients, this update failed on 95% of all machines in the test groups. No common denominator, except that they mostly run XP, and obviously office 07. This update is going to give me a migraine...

Legacy Posted By Username: red
  • red
    We have test groups across many clients, this update failed on 95% of all machines in the test groups. No common denominator, except that they mostly run XP, and obviously office 07. This update is going to give me a migraine...

red
    Okay, so, Patch Tuesday, and the customary round of hundreds of tickets that pop up every night because Kaseya seems to have a major problem with just successfully launching a file.

Hello,

We had the same problem like you. I have contact the Kaseya support and they advised me to remove the custom update link so the update will be download directly from the Microsoft update site. This will work here! See below for the comments of Kaseya support

5) log onto the machine again and attempt to install the update using Windows Update, then reboot and scan the machine again
    6) if the update can be successfully installed using Windows Update, but fails when using the downloaded install file, you can work around the problem by going to Patch Location page, selecting the update, and clicking the "remove" button. This will force Kaseya to use the "Windows Update Agent" (WUA) API to deploy the patch directly from the MS update site (over-riding the File Source policy). Reschedule installation of the patch on other managed machines that need it.

Hope that this will help to your.

Regards,

Willem Bargeman

Legacy Posted By Username: willem.bargeman
  • willem.bargeman
    Hello,

We had the same problem like you. I have contact the Kaseya support and they advised me to remove the custom update link so the update will be download directly from the Microsoft update site. This will work here! See below for the comments of Kaseya support

5) log onto the machine again and attempt to install the update using Windows Update, then reboot and scan the machine again
    6) if the update can be successfully installed using Windows Update, but fails when using the downloaded install file, you can work around the problem by going to Patch Location page, selecting the update, and clicking the "remove" button. This will force Kaseya to use the "Windows Update Agent" (WUA) API to deploy the patch directly from the MS update site (over-riding the File Source policy). Reschedule installation of the patch on other managed machines that need it.

Hope that this will help to your.

Regards,

Willem Bargeman

We had experienced failures with this patch too.

Thanks for sharing the suggestion from K Support.

If we follow the above steps, does anyone know what happens if multiple patches approved to be installed. Will th eothers be copies from the patch file source, and this one downlaoded from MS, all in the same deployment session?

I will probably try some test deploys in our office.

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    We had experienced failures with this patch too.

Thanks for sharing the suggestion from K Support.

If we follow the above steps, does anyone know what happens if multiple patches approved to be installed. Will th eothers be copies from the patch file source, and this one downlaoded from MS, all in the same deployment session?

I will probably try some test deploys in our office.

Yes, the other patches will be downloaded from the patch file source. Only the update without a specified update url will be download trough the WUA API (windows update). You can schedule all the updates at the same time!

• okay, I went to the Patch Location screen, found the patch, and clicked the remove button.

It did show:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/1/C/D1C0F7E2-27F0-4C0B-BE12-AA74CFE6BDEE/office2007-kb982331-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

now it shows:
    Missing Patch Location

But now when I go to a machien that is missing that patch, and go to the Patch Status tab, there is no checkbox showing for that patch, so I am unabel to select it for deployment.

Any ideas for what I did wrong? or what I should do?

• lwolf
    okay, I went to the Patch Location screen, found the patch, and clicked the remove button.

It did show:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/1/C/D1C0F7E2-27F0-4C0B-BE12-AA74CFE6BDEE/office2007-kb982331-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

now it shows:
    Missing Patch Location

But now when I go to a machien that is missing that patch, and go to the Patch Status tab, there is no checkbox showing for that patch, so I am unabel to select it for deployment.

I have removed the link and the update shows: Internet-based Install Only. I can select and install the update.

Which Kaseya version are you using?

• willem.bargeman
    I have removed the link and the update shows: Internet-based Install Only. I can select and install the update.

Which Kaseya version are you using?

I have v5.1 and it does the Missing Patch Location thing.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdanner
  • gdanner
    I have v5.1 and it does the Missing Patch Location thing.

gdanner
    okay, I went to the Patch Location screen, found the patch, and clicked the remove button.

It did show:

now it shows:
    Missing Patch Location

We are using Kaseya 2 (version 6). I think that the windows update option is not available in version 5.

If you are able to upgrade to version 6, do it today! The interface is much better and there are many new options like Live connect, a new script engine etc.

• willem.bargeman
    We are using Kaseya 2 (version 6). I think that the windows update option is not available in version 5.

If you are able to upgrade to version 6, do it today! The interface is much better and there are many new options like Live connect, a new script engine etc.

Unfortunately, we cannot do that at the moment.

I think I have a fix figured out though; I will post after testing.

• So the problem with the original .exe is that the /quiet switch does not allow the .exe to process. The eula that appears is indeed hidden, but the .exe doesn't run for whatever reason.

To use this script, you will need to download the update from the MS catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=982331. This is a zip file. Extract the *.msp file and move it to your kserver.

This script has only been tested in XP so far.

Script Name: KB982331
    Script Description: KB982331 - Critical Security Update

IF True
    THEN
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 4
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : agentDrv
    OS Type : 8
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : #agentDrv#temp\KB982331.msp
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles\MSUpdates\KB982331.msp
    Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 1 : msiexec /p #agentDrv#temp\KB982331.msp /quiet
    Parameter 2 : 1
    Execute Script - (Continue on Fail)
    Parameter 1 : Patch Scan (NOTE: Script reference is NOT imported. Correct manually in script editor.
    Parameter 2 : 10
    Parameter 3 : 1
    ELSE

• I opened a ticket with K Support. We'll see what they say.

• I worked with someome from K Support on this problem today.

The fix was for me to go to the Patch Location screen, find the KB+Security Bulleting matching patch, and change the end of the specified location+filename from filename.EXE to filename.CAB.

I redeploayed the patch, and it installed fine. Yeah !

After talking with the K Support person, this seems to be a way to fix the ongoing problem of Office patches that generate the "this patch does not apply" or "this patch is already installed" problems.

• lwolf
    I worked with someome from K Support on this problem today.

The fix was for me to go to the Patch Location screen, find the KB+Security Bulleting matching patch, and change the end of the specified location+filename from filename.EXE to filename.CAB.

I redeploayed the patch, and it installed fine. Yeah !

After talking with the K Support person, this seems to be a way to fix the ongoing problem of Office patches that generate the "this patch does not apply" or "this patch is already installed" problems.

Can you be more specific regarding the steps you took? We have gone to the Patch Mgmt tab, then clicked on Patch Location under Patch Parameters in the Functions List, found the patch and changed the file extension to .cab.

How have you "redeployed" the patch? Via a patch deploy script? via patch mgmt? Via a script you wrote yourself? The reason I ask is that renaming the file extension just breaks the link to the patch because there is no .cab version with the same filename. How can you deploy a patch that doesn't exist?

To add to the discussion, our research into the issue regarding KB982331 has found that the patch installs successfully but is not recognised by patch mgmt as successfully installed. This raises the questions "Is Kaseya's Patch Mgmt system at fault, not the the patch?" and "How is Kaseya Patch Mgmt testing for the existence of the patch?".

We're wondering if the patch scan is checking for the right files/registry values because the patch installs fine, yet users are prompted for a reboot because Kaseya keeps reinstalling the patch as if it isn't there.

Legacy Posted By Username: aligntech