Kaseya Community

Patch rollback for Server 2008?

• Can you not rollback patches for Server 2008? I'm looking in the rollback area and the server I need to roll back has no patches that qualify.

I dug deeper and noticed NO server 2008 servers have any rollbacks. Other servers do. Anyone know anything about this? Care to check your own systems to verify?

Thanks!
    Jason

Legacy Forum Name: Patch rollback for Server 2008?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jasonrdavis
  • Not a good sign that no one has replied, I opened a support ticket as well for this.. and no response yet. Although that is typical for Kaseya support.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
  • same here, no rollback for our 2008 servers.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • jasonrdavis
    Not a good sign that no one has replied, I opened a support ticket as well for this.. and no response yet. Although that is typical for Kaseya support.

Just checked ours, nada...
    I've got to discuss it with the higher ups but I'm thinking that I might pull server 2008 out of the PM circle untill this is fixed...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Just an update.. I asked Kaseya about this issue and last heard from them on April 12. The ticket has been open 8 days and I haven't got a response.

Can you imagine if you did this to one of your managed services clients? Just left them hanging for 8 days? Eek

• Well right after I left that post I got this from Kaseya:

"It is not specific to Win2008 - we can only provide patch rollbacks where the patch provides an uninstall command line string for us to perform the rollback - many patches no longer provide this, especially for newer OSs"

Does anyone agree/disagree with that? I can't imagine that there is no uninstall string for all Windows Server 2008 patches..

• jasonrdavis
    Well right after I left that post I got this from Kaseya:

"It is not specific to Win2008 - we can only provide patch rollbacks where the patch provides an uninstall command line string for us to perform the rollback - many patches no longer provide this, especially for newer OSs"

Does anyone agree/disagree with that? I can't imagine that there is no uninstall string for all Windows Server 2008 patches..

Unfortunately I've pulled our in house 2k8 server out for a couple of reason... But there is a way of finding out if they do or do not have uninstall strings. (MS is devious like that, so I can totally see it happening.)

Anyways a lot of that information is stored here C:\Windows\Installer...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • I guess all this function really does is run an MSI uninstall string remotely. So it's not a huge loss. The only time I needed it was where a patch damaged SBS 2008 so badly we could not get into the Control Panel, so the MSI uninstaller may have helped. Of course, with the OS damaged that badly, msiexec might have been toasted too.