Kaseya Community

How to deny WGA

• I want "Windows Genuine Advantage' denied for patch approval. Can someone suggest where it is listed so i can deny in patch policy.

Legacy Forum Name: How to deny WGA,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rajeevsharma
  • Find the KB article number, and add the number to the "override" list

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • I assume you want to deny WGA because it doesn't run silently or something?

If it is denied, will that cause problems for PM?

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • ReedMikel
    I assume you want to deny WGA because it doesn't run silently or something?

If it is denied, will that cause problems for PM?

IIRC, it does. Theres scripts in here for the silent install of WGA and OGA...

Also worth noting is that if you dont install it, something puts it into the sceduled tasks... most annoying imo...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Something puts it into a Windows scheduled task?

I'm still not clear, why would you want to deny WGA? If it's not necessary to keep Windows happy (as far as patching goes), then I guess it makes sense to skip it. Why run something you don't have to, right? But somehow I have a hunch it is needed from time to time...

thirteentwenty
    IIRC, it does. Theres scripts in here for the silent install of WGA and OGA...

Also worth noting is that if you dont install it, something puts it into the sceduled tasks... most annoying imo...

• ReedMikel
    Something puts it into a Windows scheduled task?

I'm still not clear, why would you want to deny WGA? If it's not necessary to keep Windows happy (as far as patching goes), then I guess it makes sense to skip it. Why run something you don't have to, right? But somehow I have a hunch it is needed from time to time...

Oh actually I didn't deny it, but when I do my initial updates it's not included in the "approved" list as it needs a manual install... some special switches needed (not sure if that was ever fixed). But one day I had some users call in about it popping up everytime they logged on. turns out I forgot to run the needed script on those machines. Even after I installed WGA it still popped up... found it in the schedued tasks...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Fortunately I never did approve WGA. I guess when I was approving items I seemed to recall some threads about this being a problem patch, so I just ignored it.
    thirteentwenty
    Oh actually I didn't deny it, but when I do my initial updates it's not included in the "approved" list as it needs a manual install... some special switches needed (not sure if that was ever fixed).