Kaseya Community

Patch Problem, Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [May 2009] (KB905866)

• I just submitted a ticket for this. Thought I would post to the forum too.

I am looking for some help with a patch problem with Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [May 2009] (KB905866).

This patch is failing in Kaseya, for several machines on our network (seems to be all Windows Vista Machines). In troubleshooting, I was focusing on machine “wci-ws33.wolfconsulting.office” (running Windows Vista).

To troubleshoot, I viewed the patch details in Kaseya, which showed the executable file is “Windows6.0-KB905866-v29-x86.msu”

I manually browsed to the patch file source for the machine, and double-clicked the file “Windows6.0-KB905866-v29-x86.msu”

An initial popup window shows a progress bar, with the text saying “searching for updates”

Then a popup message saying “the update does not apply to your system” is displayed.

I am looking for help in determining why Kaseya is showing the patch is needed, compared to the patch itself stating that the update does not apply. If the update is truly needed, I need some help in determining how to get it to run successfully. If the update is not truly needed, I need some help in determining how to get it removed from the missing patches in Kaseya.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Problem, Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [May 2009] (KB905866),
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I am having the same issue - any update?

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: datacube
  • datacube
    I am having the same issue - any update?

My original past was from last May. But I too was now experiencing the same problem again with "Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [February 2010] (KB905866)" - with the patch install showing as fialing in Kaseya.

In my case, this month the problem turned out to be a bad patch download. The size of the "Windows6.0-KB905866-V37-x86.msu" file was only a few KB on my server. I deleted it, and re-started the patch process, and that time it worked okay.

• Oops. Scratch that. Still having the problem. Now the patch shows as Missing, but Not in the failed column.

Patch size is still just 2 KB.

I will submit a ticket to K Support.

• lwolf
    Oops. Scratch that. Still having the problem. Now the patch shows as Missing, but Not in the failed column.

Patch size is still just 2 KB.

I will submit a ticket to K Support.

I submitted a ticket. No response yet, other than the typical reply message.

• Yep - same here - still having issue

• Since no replys from Kaseya yet, here is a script I made to deploy it. Seems to be working. Download the MSU files first (both x86 and x64), then save them on the the Kaseya server.

Script Name: KB905866 Install
    Script Description: Downloads 905866 from kserver, and executes, Definition updates for Windows Mail.

IF Check Variable
    Parameter 1 : #vMachine.OsInfo#
    Not Contains :x64
    THEN
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 10
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : AgentTempDir
    OS Type : 0
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : #AgentTempDir#\Windows6.0-KB905866-v38-x86.msu
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles\Patches\Windows6.0-KB905866-v38-x86.msu
    Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 1 : #AgentTempDir#\Windows6.0-KB905866-v38-x86.msu /quiet
    Parameter 2 : 1
    Delete File
    Parameter 1 : #AgentTempDir#\Windows6.0-KB905866-v38-x86.msu
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : Patch KB905866 executed. Definition updates for Windows Mail.
    ELSE
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 10
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : AgentTempDir
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : #AgentTempDir#\Windows6.0-KB905866-v38-x64.msu
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles\Patches\Windows6.0-KB905866-v38-x64.msu
    Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 1 : #AgentTempDir#\Windows6.0-KB905866-v38-x64.msu /quiet
    Parameter 2 : 0
    Delete File
    Parameter 1 : #AgentTempDir#\Windows6.0-KB905866-v38-x64.msu
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : Patch KB905866 executed. Definition updates for Windows Mail.

• I'm dealing with a bug in PM->Initial Update where patches like this will cause the agent to get stuck in an infinite loop where it: executes the patch, Patch Reboot, patch scan then it repeats these steps for eternity (or until I do a PM->Initial Update->[Cancel].

I've logged several tickets with support, but so far they just don't "get it". I keep telling them they need to redesign their code so that: a) they never attempt to execute the same patch more than once in any Initial Update session b) if a patch was executed yet still shows as needed after a patch rescan, then flag it as FAILED. Currently it stays stuck at PENDING MISSING Confused

But I'll keep writing more tickets till someone in support sees the light Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • ReedMikel
    I'm dealing with a bug in PM->Initial Update where patches like this will cause the agent to get stuck in an infinite loop where it: executes the patch, Patch Reboot, patch scan then it repeats these steps for eternity (or until I do a PM->Initial Update->[Cancel].

I've logged several tickets with support, but so far they just don't "get it". I keep telling them they need to redesign their code so that: a) they never attempt to execute the same patch more than once in any Initial Update session b) if a patch was executed yet still shows as needed after a patch rescan, then flag it as FAILED. Currently it stays stuck at PENDING MISSING Confused

But I'll keep writing more tickets till someone in support sees the light Smile

I sence a bit of copy/paste going on here... yea I'm gonna start stalking your posts and keeping count =P

by the by, and getting back on topic, I've had to do "manual updates" for the majority of the junk email filters, they would fail an a bunch (not a lot but more than 50%R) of machines.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty