Kaseya Community

Windows Update

• I have a tech who could not update certain patches through Kaseya using the patch management system (WGA Stuff)

He then enabled windows updates on the servers running alongside our Kaseya patch management system.

I am moving away from the tech side but something tells me this is not a good way to go.

Why would it be beneficial to leave the Windows Update service running?
    To me it then makes Kaseya patch management redundant.

I could be wrong of course.

Legacy Forum Name: Windows Update,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mrbiggles
  • mrbiggles
    I have a tech who could not update certain patches through Kaseya using the patch management system (WGA Stuff)

He then enabled windows updates on the servers running alongside our Kaseya patch management system.

I am moving away from the tech side but something tells me this is not a good way to go.

Why would it be beneficial to leave the Windows Update service running?

To me it then makes Kaseya patch management redundant.

I could be wrong of course.

The services, as in the one running in services.msc is required for some patches to install (that dial home crap)...

The "automatic update" bit is not.

Take a look around this forum there are a few threds that address WGA/OGA specfically Like this one

I would turn off the automatic updates (not the service) because you then gain the ability to allow/deny patches as needed.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Thanks for that, Its what I thought too.

I now have something I can refer him to. Even though I explained the reasoning, I knew he was not sold on the idea of why having windows update enabled is not a good idea when Kaseya is managing the process.

Legacy Posted By Username: mrbiggles
  • mrbiggles
    Thanks for that, Its what I thought too.

I now have something I can refer him to. Even though I explained the reasoning, I knew he was not sold on the idea of why having windows update enabled is not a good idea when Kaseya is managing the process.

It might be worth having him go through the boot camp or have access to the tech jams, lots of information to be had there. Mind you, with the addition of Kaseya we've (the company I'm with and I'm sure a lot of others here) have had to rethink the way we do things. So please be open to these changes...

Also surf the forums for the "bugs" Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty