Kaseya Community

Problem with KB971117 Security Update for Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 Service Pack

• Hello to all.

I was wondering if anyone was havign problems with the following patch?

KB971117/MS09-062 - Security Update for Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 Service Pack 1 (KB971117)

When testing deployment of the latest patches to my trial group of servers (for more tolerant clients), they all seemed to take 2+ hours. I knew something was wrong. Afterwards, I compared the details of the $inst$ptc0$ script (Alt-click method) versus the details reported in the actual System Log on the Agent. There was a 2-hour gap between the NtServicePack installation event log entry for patch #3 and patch #5. Looking at the $inst$ptc0$ script, patch #4 was KB971117/MS09-062 - Security Update for Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 Service Pack 1 (KB971117).

I see no entries in the local System log for this patch.

This occured on at least 4 totally different servers for 4 different clients.

I have not (yet) had a chance tomanually download and run the patch EXE file - to see if there are any messages.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior? And I also wanted to giev everyoen a heads-up so you could avoid deploying this patch (at least for now).

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Problem with KB971117 Security Update for Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 Service Pack,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I also had this problem. Kaseya's command line is /quiet /norestart. It seems to hang the installation as a bad switch so it waits until the script times out before it returns. The installer claims to support /q switch for quiet installation. But I never got it to work. I ended up deploying it manually. Windows Update can deploy it so there has to be a way. But just how I'd like to know...

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • connectex,

Thanks for the extra info. Did you already submit a ticket to K Support for this problem? If not, I can do so.

Lloyd

• Lloyd,

Go ahead and contact Kaseay support. Have them see what they can do about it. My bet is they determine it can't be automated and set it as a "manual install". I'm past it for now so it doesn't really matter to me.

Matt

• connectex
    Lloyd,

Go ahead and contact Kaseay support. Have them see what they can do about it. My bet is they determine it can't be automated and set it as a "manual install". I'm past it for now so it doesn't really matter to me.

Matt

We were hit by this problem last night as well. It does not appear that Kaseya has made any changes for it as of yet.

Legacy Posted By Username: aoberman
  • I submitted a ticket to K Support, ID #196911, reporting the problem and suggestign it is likely due to a bad command line parameter.

• Have you guys recieved any word on this? We have started seeing this ourselves and came to the same conclusion. It looks like the patch doesn't have a silent option that works.

Legacy Posted By Username: Marshall
  • Nothing other than automated responses/replies so far.

• Received the following reply today...

[Ticket Notes ~ticId='196911']
    Ticket ID: 196911
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Author: andrew.ellis
    Date: 11:14:24 23-Oct-09
    Hello Lloyd,

Development has created a switch over ride and this should auto deploy to your VSA within 5 hours and fix this KB971117 install.

Have a good weekend

• I have just done one today, I needed to login to the server the patch was deployed to in order to to accept the EULA. So it doesnt look as though the patch has made it yet.

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • Has anyone heard if this issue has been corrected yet?

Legacy Posted By Username: JeffS
  • This is the response I had from support.

[Ticket Notes ~ticId='198188']
    Ticket ID: 198188
    Author: dominic.walsh
    Date: 10:40:42 4-Nov-09
    Gareth
    After further investigation we found that, as per MS security bulletin (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms09-062.mspx), the right switch for silent install of this update seems to be: -

/q:a /c:"install.exe /q" /r:n

We posted an override late last night which should by now have reached your server. Let me know if there are any further problems.

Dominic

Legacy Posted By Username: geekyblowfish
  • Ok, this thread was started on the 10/18 and supposely solved on 11/6. 19 days, wow Kaseya support is on a roll. Big Smile Maybe next months patches will really work without the prompting users.

• geekyblowfish,

Have you re-tried deploying this patch, after K changed the switches?

I still have it Denied via KB Override - to prevent installation. I have not (yet) re-tested.

• yeah all the machines missing this patch, have now been patched following the changes to the switches.

Legacy Posted By Username: geekyblowfish