Kaseya Community

Help needed with Patch Source..

• Hi,

I'm struggling to find this info on the forum.. I might not be searching for the correct "terms"

I'm implementing patch management and I want to know how I "designate" a server to be the "Patch source", so that ALL patches go to a network share on this server and I can then point my managed clients to this server via the UNC \ Share path etc..

The server I want to download all patches too is a Kaseya managed server.

Hope thats clear? Thanks Smile

Andrew.

Legacy Forum Name: Help needed with Patch Source..,
    Legacy Posted By Username: andrewf
  • Hey Andrew. If my knowledge is correct, all you do is create the share on any server (with sufficient space), and the first server that needs the update will automatically push it to the share.

You shouldnt need to designate any server, as long as you have specified your UNC path to get the updates from.

Hope it helps.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: netconfig
  • I do this at most of my client sites.
    as netconfig said you just need to make sure that the network share has full access to all users.. (I use an external USB drive)

In any case,

Patch Management > File Source
    Select
    (First line)"Pulled from file server using UNC path" and dictate the UNC Path (ie\\SomeServerNameHere\PatchManagementFileStorageDoNotRemove)
    select the (next line) Machine Group (Its a pull down) then select the Server that has the network share. and (last line) dictate its local path (ie g:\PatchManagementFileStorageDoNotRemove) then select an option for "File server automatically gets patch files from...

Hope that helps...

edit/note: You'll have to change the settings per machine group... and double check before hitting apply... the settings dont change when you change machine groups.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Thanks! Smile

I was confusing myself as I thought (foolish me!) that the K server compared
    the list from MS and pre-downloaded the patches, so was expecting to see
    the shared area fill with patches ready to deploy.

Kaseya doesn't work like that I've since found out, and also won't in K6 which
    kind of sucks.

Patch Management is one area that as nearly had me box Kaseya back up
    and personally deliver it back Smile

Thanks again for the replies...

Legacy Posted By Username: andrewf
  • andrewf
    Thanks! Smile

I was confusing myself as I thought (foolish me!) that the K server compared

the list from MS and pre-downloaded the patches, so was expecting to see

the shared area fill with patches ready to deploy.

as discussed in another thread the patches come down just before it needs to be installed.

A part of me wanted to see the patches come down at the time of approval, but another part of me is very glad that I don't have a share that has _every_ patch for XP (we've got a quite a few boxes that are pre SP1)

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • thirteentwenty

Patch Management > File Source
    Select
    (First line)"Pulled from file server using UNC path" and dictate the UNC Path (ie\\SomeServerNameHere\PatchManagementFileStorageDoNotRemove)
    select the (next line) Machine Group (Its a pull down) then select the Server that has the network share. and (last line) dictate its local path (ie g:\PatchManagementFileStorageDoNotRemove) then select an option for "File server automatically gets patch files from...

How do you set this when using a NAS drive to store updates. E.g. I want to use a NAS device to hold them therefore it can't have an Agent installed and neither can it have a local drive letter as it won't be mapped unless a user is logged on. Hope that makes sense.

Legacy Posted By Username: SteveWebster
  • SteveWebster
    How do you set this when using a NAS drive to store updates. E.g. I want to use a NAS device to hold them therefore it can't have an Agent installed and neither can it have a local drive letter as it won't be mapped unless a user is logged on. Hope that makes sense.

We're using this approach with a Netgear ReadyNas Pro but instead of using shares, we've setup iSCSI targets. Using the iSCSI initiator on one of our servers, we can present it as a drive letter.

Legacy Posted By Username: server_room