Kaseya Community

Kaseya can't detect SQL Express 2005 SP3

• After much hair-pulling, I am still unable to get Kaseya to recognize that Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706) has been installed. I have installed it on several servers & not one of them is recognized as having it. If I try to re-install it now, the installer just comes back and tells me that I've already got it on there.

Is anyone else having this issue & does anyone have any advice on getting this recognized? Patching is a sticky issue around here & I have to present reports to the board.
    Thanks.
    dave

Legacy Forum Name: Kaseya can't detect SQL Express 2005 SP3,
    Legacy Posted By Username: northstardave
  • Few quick things to check;

Can you see KB955706 in your Patch Policies to approve or deny? If you can, and you check the individual patch status of the machines on which you've installed it, does Kaseya specifically list it as missing?

Cheers,
    -LWX

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • I have the same problem. Is there any solution for this problem available?

Legacy Posted By Username: awakener
  • I also have this problem..... a solution would be appreciated.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • Have a look at this thread - http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/30/t/10295.aspx

I believe the SP needs the /allinstances switch for some installations. Refer to MS documentation and add the switch using the Command Line function if appropriate.

Legacy Posted By Username: dwalsh
  • dwalsh
    Have a look at this thread - http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/30/t/10295.aspx

I believe the SP needs the /allinstances switch for some installations. Refer to MS documentation and add the switch using the Command Line function if appropriate.

So are you saying that /allinstances switch should be used within an installation script or is there an option somewhere to add this within patch management? I still have a lot to learn about Kaseya!

Thanks

Legacy Posted By Username: gjmurphy3
  • This is seen as requiring a manual install by Kaseya, so you would need to create a script with that /allinstances switch. Also be aware that this service pack does stop and restart your SQL server service, and also bare in mind any child or dependent services would need to be restarted. When we installed the service pack, the child services did not start up automatically. Probably best to schedule a reboot of the machine after running the script.

Legacy Posted By Username: sash
  • Also, and just guessing, it's obious what /allinstances does, and could thereforebe an indicator as to why Kaseya is not picking it up - database x did not get updates.

Not exactly sure how all this works though. Only got limited knowledge of SQL.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • I have tried it with the /allinstances switch. The update is installed fine but again, Kaseya still says that the update is missing. Any solution?

Legacy Posted By Username: awakener
  • awakener
    I have tried it with the /allinstances switch. The update is installed fine but again, Kaseya still says that the update is missing. Any solution?

I also have this issue. Our system in turn tells connectwise that there is a patch missing each time it fails to install an unneeded patch and as you can imagine, our ticketing system needs constant attention to keep it under control.

Legacy Posted By Username: gjmurphy3
  • gjmurphy3
    So are you saying that /allinstances switch should be used within an installation script or is there an option somewhere to add this within patch management? I still have a lot to learn about Kaseya!

Thanks

It can be added using the Patch Parameters > Command Line function. A custom script should not be necessary, but remember that this will apply to all machines you deploy the patch to unless you change it again.

• sash
    This is seen as requiring a manual install by Kaseya, so you would need to create a script with that /allinstances switch. Also be aware that this service pack does stop and restart your SQL server service, and also bare in mind any child or dependent services would need to be restarted. When we installed the service pack, the child services did not start up automatically. Probably best to schedule a reboot of the machine after running the script.

KB955706 is not a manual install only patch. Patches are only set to manual install only if the scan data we get from Microsoft does not contain a download link or there are multiple downloads. In most cases we get around this by publishing an over-ride list which gets downloaded to your server a few days after the patch becomes available.

• awakener
    I have tried it with the /allinstances switch. The update is installed fine but again, Kaseya still says that the update is missing. Any solution?

The patch scan relies on Microsoft's detection logic to determine whether an update is missing or installed. If you scan the server using Windows Update, does it report the update as missing? If so, report the problem to Microsoft (they offer free e-mail based support for Windows Update issues).

If the Kaseya scan is giving different results to Windows Update, raise a Kaseya support ticket.

• We just picked up a client that has about 20 workstations with SQLexpress installed and need to install SQL sp3 KB955706. I have an image of one of the systems for testing and am able to install the update using the GUI no problem.

However, I've been trying to do this using a command line so I can script it (sqlexpr32.exe /allinstances /quiet). I've also extracted the files and tried the same switches, but it does not update the system.

One of the entries on this blog says that this patch is not a manual install only but that is what appears on my system. Am I missing something?

This can't be as tough as I'm making it seem. -wrong download, switches, method? Any suggestions appreciated.

Legacy Posted By Username: SKleis
  • It seems Kaseya really wants us to deploy the SQL sever updates manually. However, SQL Express is a huge pain the butt. It's installed with quite a few products out there. Unfortunely for now it is best to create a view to list only the systems needing the update and then use a script to deploy the service pack or other manual update. Improving on this is one of the items on my to do list. But I have other projects tht are more important first.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex