Kaseya Community

Download Patches to Repository Ahead of Time

• Is it possible to download patches to the repository (a file server on the same LAN as the agents) ahead of time?
    For instance, if you have a large patch, a Service Pack perhaps, that's hundreds of MBs in size, can I tell the local file server to download it to its shared folder prior to a local agent requesting it?
    Thanks in advance!
    -CW

Legacy Forum Name: Download Patches to Repository Ahead of Time,
    Legacy Posted By Username: cwilliams
  • Or does the file server begin downloading the patches as soon as the job is scheduled, and not wait until the time the script begins?

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
  • Unfortunately the product does not work this way yet. I submitted a feature request for this, as it's something I would love to have... Trickle the patches in over the course of the day and then when we say patching starts at 11:00pm, we know for sure that PCs are actually starting to patch at 11:00pm (instead of downloading patches for 3 hours and then starting install). Hopefully it's something we see in a future version. I do not believe that v6 has this functionality.

The only way to get this kind of functionality for now is to have a tester/spare PC on the network that you can patch earlier than the others. If you setup the patch source to leave patches on the share instead of deleting them then you can patch just the one PC and the patches will remain in the patch share for immediate installation on other PCs later on. Unfortunately this really only works for desktops (unless you've got spare a spare server that you can reboot at your leisure).

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • arobar
    The only way to get this kind of functionality for now is to have a tester/spare PC on the network that you can patch earlier than the others. If you setup the patch source to leave patches on the share instead of deleting them then you can patch just the one PC and the patches will remain in the patch share for immediate installation on other PCs later on. Unfortunately this really only works for desktops (unless you've got spare a spare server that you can reboot at your leisure).

This is the way we do it for the workstations, for the most part we're able to keep a test box on site or at the very least at the clients main location and test, we're able to get all the patches down to our patch location before hand.

An idea we've been toying with is to keep one of our dev servers at full patch status so that we have all the patches, then push them out to the client sites as needed.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Ah, this is what I figured. The test box idea is a good one, when a test box is available.
    Thanks for the replies!