Kaseya Community

Install Updates and Shut Down

• Windows Auto Update has this feature, and I see that Initial Updates could call a shutdown script. However, I don't see a way to do this in Kaseya Auto update. I would expect one of the "Reboot Action" choices would be to shut down.

Does anyone have a way of doing this?

--acorn

Legacy Forum Name: Install Updates and Shut Down,
    Legacy Posted By Username: acorn
  • No direct answer for you, just a caution.

The patch reboot is typically followed by a rescan to ensure the patches were successful. Shutting down will delay this scan until the user restarts the next day and it could cause complaints of slow performance......particularly on older machines.

For our higher-end clients we also provide BUDR so we have that scheduled after patching and use a Post-Backup script to shut the machines down

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • We just schedule a shutdown 2hrs after patching. Has worked well. Just a word of caution though: if patching starts but is interrupted by a shutdown, it will continue as soon as the system is turned back on. So your users could get a surprise reboot the next morning.

Legacy Posted By Username: jrvandy
  • Thanks for the replies - here's what my plan is for now:

I intend to register a feature request with Kaseya: That in the "Reboot Action" section of Patch Management, they include a "Shut Down" option, along with all the reboot options.

For now, the best solution I can think of is to patch in cycles during the week. As an example, if you have 500 computers, have 100 of them stay on till midnight one day, for each weekday, and do your patching and maintenence for that group during its "late night".

Thanks again, and more ideas are appreciated!

--acorn

Legacy Posted By Username: acorn