Kaseya Community

script to uninstall IE 8

• I have approved IE 8 by mistake and have it loaded on 100 or so PC. Does any have a script to uninstall it? - Thanks Kerry

Legacy Forum Name: script to uninstall IE 8,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kerrya
  • Here is what i got so far, it removed IE 8 but shows as failed in the script log. The error I got states that there isn't enough parameters in Step 1.

Any help?

Thanks

Script Name: uninstall IE 8
    Script Description:

IF Test File
    Parameter 1 : c:\windows\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
    Exists :
    THEN
    Execute File
    Parameter 1 : c:\windows\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
    Parameter 2 : /quiet /forcerestart
    Parameter 3 : 3
    OS Type : 0
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : IE 8 Uninstalled on #MGID#
    ELSE
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : IE 8 is not installed on #MGID#

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
  • Feeling new here - We felt we did everything right to implement patch managment yesterday, and specifically configured to block IE8, but it was installed last night at a client's site.

Legacy Posted By Username: genix-tyler
  • Us too Sad I'm having a look at your script, and am working on it too. Will let you know if/when I come up with anything

--acorn

Legacy Posted By Username: acorn
  • you've probably already seen it, but jic - Microsoft has several ways to uninstall IE8 listed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Legacy Posted By Username: jeremy@somethingcool.com
  • The script above is working now. I have used it on about 6 systems. I also ran it against a system that didn't have IE 8 on it and it didn't uninstall anything.

Kerry

• Worked great - thanks!

Jeremy

Legacy Posted By Username: jeremy@somethingcool.com
  • Funny, but true. I went into the IE 8 patch yesterday and denied it for all of my patch policies. I then ran the uninstall scripts on all the PCs at 9:00 last night. This morning I reliazed that there were actuall 7 different IE 8 patches and that I had only denied 1. So, long story short -- all the PCs that I uninstalled IE 8 on at 9 wound up installing it again at 12:30AM. -- Kerry

• Script works great, thanks Kerry

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • Is there is a script to block IE 8 from installing?

Once I uninstall this, do I have manually install IE 7 again with the patches? Is there is an easy way to remove IE 8 and reinstall IE 7? Thanks.

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew@eSudo.com
  • Just deny it using patch policy. Make sure you go through each classification though, as there are several places you will need to deny it.

After I ran the script I did not have to reinstall IE7, it just worked Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • To make it blocked, period, make sure you add 944036 to your KB Override. That is the KB article for all IE8 installs. It will not block updates if IE8 is already installed, just block the installation through K.

~Dave

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for removing IE8 from our Server 2003 boxes even if we do not have the C:\Windows\IE8 directory? This script will not work for us.

Kind of at a dead end here.

Thanks,
    Brad

Legacy Posted By Username: bbetenson
  • So I ended up taking the folder from another server which DID have it in the C:\Windows\ folder. I ran the SPUNINST.EXE and am rebooting it right now.

Looks like this will do the trick.

Yep. It Did.

Legacy Posted By Username: bbetenson
  • Only problem I saw with this script is a few newer workstations we had were shipped with IE8. After we ran this script, there was no IE installed on the computer. Just something to remember.

Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian