Kaseya Community

Internet Explorer 8 released today

• Per the title, as of 9 AM this morning IE 8 went gold. How many of you are going to push it out to your clients, and how many are not?

I'm kind-of on the fence about this one. IE7 has crash problems on our machines now, but we have a bit of a policy of not pushing radically new software til it's been out for a while and tested by the Mass Populous.

Thoughts?

Legacy Forum Name: Internet Explorer 8 released today,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • I'm not going to release it to any client until I verify that all of their current apps work with it. I have had issues (while testing it myself) with certain web based apps having issues.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Most customers use web based Business applications, so untill the application vendor has confirmed that their applications work with IE8 it doesnt seem like a sensible option.

As its a change of application for the customer you should go though a test and validation phase and then only implement under an agreed change control procedure - even if that procedure is the customer saying 'Yes'. Otherwise you are in danger of having to roll it back (if thats even possible) for your customers - and they will want it done in a hurry if they cant run their core business apps.

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • Internally, we're having issues using it with Connectwise. Aside from that we haven't tested it with any client apps yet. But we're in the same boat, we'll be waiting for a very long time until the bugs are worked out.

Legacy Posted By Username: JosephM
  • Seems CW doesn't support IE8 yet. So according to them, don't call support with CW problems!

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • In the beta i found the monitoring dashboards in Kaseya didn't work.

Does anyone know if this has been resolved?

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • IE8 works fine with CW, but yeah if you have any problems they won't go near you if IE8 is there.

What I'd like to know is if the IE8 update itself are available yet in our Kaseya Patch Management modules? I'd like to Deny them in an effort to control deployment to my customers.

Legacy Posted By Username: BulletproofSean
  • I am currently using IE 8 on my machine with no problems in Kaseya.

We do have several clients who have machines that are still running IE6 because the web based apps they run do not work in IE 7.

We have since removed IE 7 from those clients and have blocked the IE 7 update in Patch Management.

Is there a IE8 Patch yet? I will need to block these as well.

Legacy Posted By Username: jm-ctaccess
  • It was rolled out last Tuesday as KB944036.

I believe Kaseya marks it as denied by default. Either that or we did it manually.... I'm not entirely sure.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • Not blocked in my install - was showing as pending approval. Easy enough to search the patch status for KB944036 and then approve/deny/pending approval it based on your needs.

Legacy Posted By Username: Brian
  • Now in Windows/Microsoft Update as what MS is labelling a "Critical/High Priority Update".

Office 2007 SP2 is listed there as well, which released yesterday

Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • chris@busy.co.nz
    In the beta i found the monitoring dashboards in Kaseya didn't work.

Does anyone know if this has been resolved?

This has been resolved. I was using the beta version of IE8 in the Windows 7 Beta and had the same problem as you. Now that I have installed the Windows 7 RC which comes with final version of IE8 I am no longer having this problem.

I also had problems with the Beta IE8 and AutoTask, this is also resolved Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • Our patch policy auto-accepted this, and it has been installed quite a few times. So far we have not had a single problem.

In fact, I had a problem with Internet Banking and a java applet, which resolved itself when IE8 installed itself. So far, so good!

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • Just to note there are 8 instances of this patch in the kaseya policy manager.

So you need to block all 8 to fully block it. They all have the same KB number just do an F3 in the list to search through.

I didn't and it installed on 200 machines so a quick script later and I only have a couple still with it on.

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • nevesis
    It was rolled out last Tuesday as KB944036.

I believe Kaseya marks it as denied by default. Either that or we did it manually.... I'm not entirely sure.

To clarify the default behavior and how to ensure a particular update is not mistakenly installed: -

1) if a machine is scheduled for Automatic Update and does NOT belong to any approval policies, all updates detected as missing by the patch scan will be scheduled for install. If it belongs to a policy, only updates that have been approved for the policy will be scheduled. If it belongs to multiple policies, only updates that have been approved in ALL the policies will be scheduled. The approval status for a patch on a particular machine is displayed in Machine Update and the Patch Status tab of the single machine interface - any patch that is listed as "missing" or "pending" will be installed the next time an Automatic Update runs.

2) when a patch is detected for the first time by a Patch Scan, it is added to the policies and given the default approval status for each policy based on Microsoft's update classification and the product it applies to. The IE8 install (KB944036) is classified as "Update Rollup (High Priority)" and has 8 different patches for different products (the supported OS's). If the default approval status in a policy for these products AND this classification are set to "Approved" then it will get auto-approved. When you create a new policy, all classifications are given a Default Approval Status of "Pending Approval".

3) you can over-ride the default approval status for a particular KB article using the "KB Override" function. If you enter KB944036 here and set to denied, then any existing or future patches for this KB article will be set to denied and will not be automatically scheduled for any machines that belong to any policy. It may still be scheduled by a VSA admin using the Machine Update or Patch Update function.

Hope this helps, please refer to online help for further details. Those of you who are new to Patch Management should also visit our training portal at https://training.kaseya.com

Legacy Posted By Username: dwalsh