Kaseya Community

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847

• I have followed a couple recommendations for scripting this installation, one from a forum post for .NET 2.0 I believe. I cannot seem to get a working install script to deploy, could anyone assist with getting this manual patch installed, it's unfortunate I have to rely on other customers for assistance, however technical support is of no help.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Legacy Forum Name: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847,
    Legacy Posted By Username: chrisd
  • In order for this update to show as having ben installed, you have to install three more patches.

kb958481
    kb958483
    kb958484

Apparently, MS neglected to include all the updates in the 'full' package.

As far as the script goes, I just copy the four files from a staged location on the local LAN (the main update is like 235mb) and execute them one at a time. It did take some tweaking to get the script to run correctly. I ended up spending about 10hrs until I finally got it to work the way I wanted it to.

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: nroberts777
  • .Net Framework SP1 has been causing endless headaches for servers and desktops.

Unless you have a good reason to deploy it, don't.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • smbtechnology
    .Net Framework SP1 has been causing endless headaches for servers and desktops.

Unless you have a good reason to deploy it, don't.

We've been slowly deploying it as we have the opportunity to, but haven't seen any problems. As long as the server is rebooted afterwards, we haven't had any issues. What problems are you seeing?

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • I'd also be interested to know what issues this is causing. We've got this approved in our patch policy but haven't actually rolled this out anywhere yet.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • Problem here:

LOB app includes upgrade from MSDE to SQL Express. DB upgrade doesn't work with .NET 3.5 SP1 installed. Worked fine on machines w/o 3.5 SP1.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • I have a script that installs 951847, then
    kb958481
    kb958483
    kb958484 in that order as per Microsoft's suggestions.

Going into Microsoft Update still shows that KB951847 is needed, despite that it's (evidently) installed properly.

So despite being installed, a bunch of our systems still have little yellow shields indicating that Automatic Updates believes a patch is available.

Anyone resolved this?

-Dan

Legacy Posted By Username: DNeuwir
  • Wow, a week has gone by and no takers? Geez...

Still having troubles with this. The script appears to be working correctly, downloading the proper patches (into AgentTempDir) and executing them one by one (I'm using the /q /norestart commandlines on each), then running a reboot script after the last patch is rolled in. When I go back into WindowsUpdate on the system, it still shows 951847 as being needed, and re-downloads 220ishMb of it. Once WindowsUpdate has rolled it in, it no longer appears on the list.

I really DON'T want to have to log in from remote and run this 250Mb patch manually on 200+ systems...

Any help?

Legacy Posted By Username: DNeuwir
  • Pretty much the same scenario here, we haven't had problems with any machines once the patch is installed though.

It seems no matter what method I try, even if everything downloads and installs, Windows Update and Kaseya both show the update as being available for install.

Legacy Posted By Username: chrisd
  • What's going on, no final solution to this? Some of you mention you got it going with 10 hours of work (!!), if you wrote a script for it, it sure would be appreciated if you post it!

Legacy Posted By Username: sni_greg
  • While not an answer to the specific question, just a thought to keep in mind:

Just remember that .NET Framework is an *Application*, not a *patch*. It only needs to be deployed if other software the customer is using requires .NET to be installed. If they don't need .NET, it's best not to deploy it so you won't have to keep it up to date.

While MS makes these things available via their Patching engine, just remember the distinction that there are applications out there that don't have to be deployed, such as .NET Framework, Internet Explorer, Genuine Advantage, etc.

Legacy Posted By Username: jason.paquette@kaseya.com
  • KB958417.txt
    This script seems to be working on most XP machines and some vista for us. It downloads and installs dotnetfx35.exe- then executes 3 more scripts (see attached file) I have the UAC to disable in Vista just in case and its only temporarily. But still seems not to install in some vista machines (x86),) Some XP machines just wont install and I found out that it wont either from the Windows update page- Not sure why..
    I hope works for some of you-

Legacy Posted By Username: juan@geeksaknockin.com
  • Add this for x64 Vista and x64 Server 2008.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c411b91e-4dab-4550-915c-e119204d0732&displaylang=en

Legacy Posted By Username: danece
  • Incase you havent already devised your own ways of getting around this, you can just write a vbs to use WUA. This scans for patch, downloads, and installs it.

If you already have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed, the Family Update is not that big. The wording and KB numbers make this whole thing rather confusing.

The .NET Framework 3.5 Sp1 install is rather large (almost 250MB I believe), but is easily installed (see the other posts in the thread). After installing this, you usually notice that the Family Update is still listed as missing and a search for the KB# listed gives you 250MB update again.

The Family Update (not sure why they call it 3.5 Family Update) is an update for the whole .NET Framework family. This means that there is an update for .NET 2.0 Sp2, .NET 3.0 Sp2, and .NET 3.5 Sp1 all at the same time. Installing them manually (or scripting out the .exe's to run) requires you to execute all 3 in order. Using a fairly simple vbscript, you can tell Windows Update Service to download and install the patch.

Legacy Posted By Username: pbish@eresources.com
  • I used the scripts supplied by Juan on a Windows Server 2003 sp2 with flying colors.

If your new(like me), you'll need to remove the html tags from the Get URL steps and even if you do not rename the scripts you need to re-do the script references.

I had to manually delete one file left on my temp drive...but I believe this is why he made them CONTINUE OF FAIL.

The add/remove programs list seems a bit excessive, about 23 entries related to .NET now.

On a side note, I thought I cancelled the script while .NET file was being downloaded, I returned an hour later and everything was installed...

thanks JUAN

Legacy Posted By Username: epetro@autobase.net