Kaseya Community

Repeated Patch Download Failures

• Hi All,

I have one particular network which is constantly failing to download patches. I have a file source full of 1kb files with the correct patch names (windowsxp-kb952954-x86-enu_0c595b08d25326ffa929efe23e29b5848e7f39ec.exe for example) except they contain the following error:

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"

The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.
    ----------

clearly whatever is downloading the patches isnt able to connect out properly but it makes no sense as my agents are online 24/7 & aren't having issues connnecting to anything else.

has anyone else had this or a similar problem & if so what did you do to resolve it?

does anyone know what URL & software the patches are being downloaded with so i can step through the process & attempt to download some manually?

thanks for your help

Regards

James

Legacy Forum Name: Repeated Patch Download Failures,
    Legacy Posted By Username: james@williswhite.co.nz
  • james@williswhite.co.nz
    does anyone know what URL & software the patches are being downloaded with so i can step through the process & attempt to download some manually?

You might try searching microsoft's site.

Here is the URL that I found
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d313f42c-f43f-48ea-82ef-3bc33077c7fa&displaylang=en

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Hi Lloyd,
    thanks for your input but to be more specific what I want to know is what is the _exact_ command line & URL's the patch management system uses to download each patch.. ?

i ask this so can try and replicate the steps patch management goes through to work out why it won't work in this situation. when i say i want to download some manually i mean in the sense that i do what patch management does. not via using some other method that is different from how patch management downloads them (such as through internet explorer using windows update for example).

is there a file stored anywhere on a machine that contains a list of each patch to be downloaded?

can anyone give any in depth info on how the patch management system works?

• Try this...

Bring up the Agent window for a machien with the problem, click on Pending Scripts tab. In the script history listing, hold the Alt key, whiel clicking on a space to the right of the get$ script. This will bring-up the script window showing the script code - including the specific URL. You could then manually copy & paste the code to the Agent, and try to manually run each step.

Lloyd

• ah excellent. thats definitely more what i was looking for. thanks a lot Smile

• James,

Glad that tip helped. Did you figure out what was causing the problem?

Lloyd