Kaseya Community

Install patch XP SP3

• I want to install the patch for Windows XP SP3, but I have the Windows Automatic Update is disabled in the clients.

When I try to install SP3 I can not. To install it without any problems I have to stop the service of Kaseya. How can I install it automatically?

Legacy Forum Name: Install patch XP SP3,
    Legacy Posted By Username: 9Tres
  • Nobody else has had this problem?

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Management,
  • Can't really tell what the problem is. We have rolled out SP3 to all our clients using Kaseya without issue.....and we have Windows Update Disabled.

If you want to roll it out using Windows Update, then it would seem logical you have to enable it.

Perhaps more details would make things clearer

Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • The problem is that I can not install SP3, while the service Kasey is active, or if the user has not logged on.

Every time I tried to install it at night, using WakeOnLAn before, this update has given me errors.

• That still is not enough info to offer any input. As it has worked for me I can't guess what your exact installation parameters and/or error messages might be.

I would like to help but don't have time to pull these details from you. XP SP3 has installed fine for me using Kaseya Patch Management on Several hundred machines.

Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • Ok, thank you anyway for your interest and support.

Try to change some parameters to check what Sometimes it fails and can give you more details of the errors.

If I find the solution also write to help other users.

• General things to check:
    - Do the agent logs or agent event logs have any clues?
    - Is the patch source set correct (if you are using a local server)?
    - Is the user credential correct and an administrator on the box?
    - Are other patches failing on the box (to determine if this is a SP2 specific issue)
    - Can you manually install the patch on these machines you are having trouble with?

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • rwitt
    General things to check:
    - Do the agent logs or agent event logs have any clues?
    No, cause it happens with different machines

- Is the patch source set correct (if you are using a local server)?
    No, we're using the original download from internet (there aren't local servers for downloads or proxy servers)

- Is the user credential correct and an administrator on the box?
    YES

- Are other patches failing on the box (to determine if this is a SP2 specific issue)
    No, till this moment

- Can you manually install the patch on these machines you are having trouble with?
    This is exactly the problem, if I try to install "manually" (downloading from WUpdate and installing with Kaseya Service running) it will not run.
    Thus if I try to install the SP3 from the "pacth manager" tab in Kaseya the result is the same installation begins and 2 minutes later it says that installation patch failed

Help please!!!

• If you manually download and manually install SP3 to one of the workstations, does that work?

Check the script log and the event logs on the workstation, usually when a patch fails it says so and sometimes says WHY.

Not enough free space on C:?
    Insufficient permissions? Maybe its trying to run as a non-admin
    Are the CD Keys legitimate?

Legacy Posted By Username: jwhitford
  • So what your saying is with the K agent running, SP3 fails and if you stop the service and run the update it installs correctly?

Legacy Posted By Username: termv
  • I found the problem!

The IM applications were blocked, including Windows Messenger (msmgs.exe). This is a component of Windows, when installing SP3 was blocked and it could not make the installation remotely.

When the service was activated, blocked Windows Messenger and the installation of SP3. For that reason the installation only worked when the service was stopped.