Kaseya Community

monitoring of ESX and SAN Storage

• Hi guys,

Has anyone setup any monitoring on ESX servers or SAN Storage?  If so what type and how?

Lolly

• the only way I know of to monitor ESX hosts would be through SNMP.

www.fatmin.com/.../enabling-snmp-in-esxi-41-using-the-remote-cli.html

This also gives instructions on setting up the free/foundation esxi hosts, which can be a pain!!

Then you would need to find the mib files

then define a monitor set

I've never had success with this, but there is another good post about getting SNMP working...

• we use HP Sim / IBM director - have been looking at kaseya snmp but keep going back to the others.

• both free products by the way.

• there are plenty of other free products (i sometimes use a different one to those) but I don't use that for clients, as I like to avoid the question "hi, why are we paying for something that we can get for free".

That and HP Sim gives me shivvers.

• Sim actually works very well - and the idea is that we can monitor multiple servers / sans / switches all from one console and report back to our kaseya - most clients don't even know what sim is or would shy away. I prefer not to reinvent the wheel, kaseya snmp is a bit of a donkey maybe the new monitoring will be better.

and in relation to why pay for something you could say that about anything, download spiceworks and you get a free mini version of kaseya, its not about the tools its about what you offer and how you offer it.. clients don't care how we monitor as long as we are monitoring.

each to there own i guess  :o)

• has anyone tried this for the esx monitoring ? --> www.veeam.com/esxi-monitoring-free.html

• we are trialling the full version of this at the moment. Veeam do great products, my understanding from them though is that although they monitor ESXi it must be the licensed version - they do not monitor the free version (vmware restriction on them) but if this is incorrect let me know. We did ask them before and that was the story we were told.

• You are correct Veeam are no longer allowed to monitor the Free Version of ESXi. They do great products though and have some of the best backup and monitoring products for VMware available.

Veeam Backup is about 10 times quicker than other products we have tried for VMware backup.

• Has anyone attempted using the newly released Linux agent in an ESX service console or ESXi using a VMA?  We use Qwest PacketTrap to monitor the VMware hosts and typically rely on the SAN manufacturer's tools for SAN monitoring (NetApp's Operations Manager for instance.)  We're really hoping between the Linux agent and the new monitoring coming out that we can consolidate some of this as there's already too many tools for monitoring in use that we have to worry about training/licensing/support on.

• yeah have to agree the use of multiple tools is a pain - so many cogs in the wheel that can not function...

• lolly

has anyone tried this for the esx monitoring ? --> www.veeam.com/esxi-monitoring-free.html

That name is VERY misleading.  There really is no "free" Veeam Monitor.  It is around $500/socket for the ESX(i) hosts you monitor.  For us, that's not enough savings for us to consider it over full blown vCenter.

-Cashman

• jilderton

Has anyone attempted using the newly released Linux agent in an ESX service console or ESXi using a VMA?  We use Qwest PacketTrap to monitor the VMware hosts and typically rely on the SAN manufacturer's tools for SAN monitoring (NetApp's Operations Manager for instance.)  We're really hoping between the Linux agent and the new monitoring coming out that we can consolidate some of this as there's already too many tools for monitoring in use that we have to worry about training/licensing/support on.

Did you have any luck with this?  Anybody else try?  I think I'm going to give it a shot.....

-Chris C.

• I havent had luck installing an agent to ESXi.  It'll work on XenServer and should work on full ESX.

• You have to use a VMA to run any 3rd party tools in ESXi...but it doesnt seem to be able to monitor the overall resource usage of the host (just like SNMP with PacketTrap) so we're stuck with setting up alerts in vCenter still it seems.  Even if Kaseya worked to integrate vCenter into the K2 platform so we could control the alerting from Kaseya that would be better...