Kaseya Community

Alarms for Events Not Triggering

• We have been having intermittent problems with alarms not occurring when they should.

Often, alarms will not be triggered at all until the Kserver is rebooted, and then they will come in as normally for a period of time. At other times, only Eventlog triggered events do not alarm.

We cannot see anything wrong in the configuration of Kaseya (ie the event log symbols are not showing in red or anything similar). Some of the time, the alarms do work correctly.

We slowly became aware of the issue around the time that we applied SP1 for 2008. And possibly after this, when we the updated agent was pushed out to all of the managed systems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we are essentially not monitoring our clients!

Legacy Forum Name: Alarms for Events Not Triggering,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Maclean
  • How are you monitoring when the alarms are being triggered? Email response? We've had something similar where email alerts for Alarms would not send. We had to track down issues with our SMTP configuration before we were able to get this to work all the time.

Cheers.

Legacy Forum Name: Event Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • We have some alerts triggering alarms, so that we should see them on the dashboard, and some setup to be emailed, and some with both.

The problem is through both emails and alarms.

Kaseya support suggested that we try rebuilding the database schema, and this has seemed to improve matters, but we are still getting intermittant problems.

Thanks,

• Hmmn. Can you check if you have anything in the badmail folder when this occurs?

Also, from the system tab in Kaseya, can you check if you can send a test email whilst this is occuring also?

I doubt this is the case, but Kaseya may do a check on if email alerts are being sent and if they arent it won't finish creating the alarm and the dashboard may not show them.

Long shot, but a place to start.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • Now that we have been monitoring for a while, it looks like the rebuild of the schema did fix things. Thanks for your help LANWorx.

• Last year, I became aware that several events that were were monitoring for had actually occurd, but no alert/alarm/email was triggered. We could confirm that were were monitoring for Application Log, Event ID 1234. When we veiwed the Application Log in Kaseya for the event, we coudl see that the K server knew it occured. Yet, no alert/alarm/email was triggered.

After initially being blown-off by Tech Support, I continued to push the issue, and eventually got to work with a Developer.

I learned that I misunderstood the series of events. I thought that the Agent uploaded events at its check-ins, and then the kserver determined if somethign that was being monitored for had occured, and if so, triggered the specified action(s).

THat's how it happene din the past. But with Kaseya 2008, I was told the behavior was changed. Now the list of monitored events is downloaded to the Agent. It is actually the Agent that determined whether an a monitored event has occured, and it alerts the kserver.

In my case, the develoepr was able to verify that,somehow, someway, the Agent got "out of synch" and it did not know which events needed to trigger an alarm/email/action. We were able to repeat the problem. The Developer did something to re-push the monitored events to the Agent, which seemed to fix the problem.

In this case, the monitored events were for backup items - not a huge deal. But I was very concerned about how many other events we were not being notified about.

On thing that the Developer showed me to look for, whenever we became aware of somethign like this happening, is to go to the Agent in Kaseya, click the icon to display the Agent window, click Agent Logs, select the Monitor Action Log. This log will show whether or not the K server knows that an action was supposed to have occured, and if so, what action was taken. In our case, the Application Event log showed the K server knew about the event from event log uploading, but the Monitor Action Log did not show it, which meant the Agent had not raised the flag.

Hope this helps.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Lloyd, that is honestly, the scariest post I have seen here. The fact that we now have to worry that some critical events aren't triggering alerts is extremely troublesome. If we have to check another log to ensure that events are or aren't properly triggering alerts that kind of defeats the purpose in first place.

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Yes, very scary. I hadn't thought about it in a few months. But now that we are discussing it in this thread, I am getting nervous again.

Again, in my case, it was just actions for monitoring backup job (Backup Exec ape backup, and Backup Exec System Recovery disk imaging) event logs entries that were not firing - causing our Exec Summary Report counts to show zero for backup jobs.

But my main concern in raising the issue with K support what that I was concerned how many other events, for much more serious items, we wer enot being alerted to.

Unfortunately, the problem in this case happened at the Agent level - not at the K server level. So we were receiving many alerts for many other machines. No real way to know that there were issues with a handful of Agents out of 1,500+ agents out there.

The developer talked about putting in place some sort of check that would periodically make sure the monitored events file on the local Agent were synched with the k server. But that was several months ago, and I never heard anything back.

Lloyd

• My problem has resurfaced again.
    I have a clear example where under the monitor log, the disk free space is dipping below the threshold I have set under Alerts. Sometimes when it goes below the threshold, it alarms, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, nothing appears in the Monitor Action Log.

I have tried reinstalling the agent and reapplying the schema. I'm also going to add a Monitor Set to complement the Alert based alarms for when they fail.

Totally agree with you guys that this is scary. Not knowing when monitoring fails essentially negates the safety net that Kaseya provides.

Thanks for your posts

• LanWorx,

Please check your private messages (upper right of the screen right below the Welcome message).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Maclean ,
    If you look at the Monitor Action log for the specific machine, do you see any entries that relate to the alerts that it should be finding?

Lloyd

• Hi,

No there was nothing under the Monitor Log.

Further digging found that the audit schedule was set to far apart to pick up on disk space issues early enough. I have lowered the time between audits, and switched some disks to using monitor sets to monitor the free space.

Thanks for your help.