Kaseya Community

processing event log alert for MACHINENAME failed in emailNotify (Object expected)

  • Hello. We are running Kaseya 2008 - v5.0.0.21, HotFix Level = 1544

    We have several Event Sets configured to watch the Application, System and Security event logs on machines, and watch for specific events. When an event match is found, we have Kaseya configured to create an Alert and to also send an email message to our inhosue ticketing system.

    Everything WAS working fine. But I noticed the lack of any alerts or emails being sent recently. I did some poking around Kaseya, and I found many entries in my System log showing “processing event log alert for MACHINENAME failed in emailNotify (Object expected)”

    Here are a few examples:
    *Error* 5:27:08 pm 8-Sep-08 processing event log alert for ws06.jameslange failed in emailNotify (Object expected)

    *Error* 4:11:07 pm 8-Sep-08 processing event log alert for speplptp.shadysidepres failed in emailNotify (Object expected)

    *Error* 3:07:13 pm 8-Sep-08 processing event log alert for wjdlt2.premier failed in emailNotify (Object expected)

    *Error* 3:01:02 pm 8-Sep-08 processing event log alert for spc052.shadysidepres failed in emailNotify (Object expected)

    *Error* 12:39:28 pm 8-Sep-08 processing event log alert for wb-sbsberver1.wienandandbagin failed in emailNotify (Object expected)

    It seems that the log files are being successfully captured by the Kserver okay, as I can browse them and see the events that shodul have generated alerts and emails.

    I searched the Knowledge Base, but did not seem to find an exact match. Once article said the re-apply the Schema, which I did last evening, but the problem continues.

    Any idea what might be causing this problem, or how to fix it?

    LloydSad

    Legacy Forum Name: processing event log alert for MACHINENAME failed in emailNotify (Object expected),
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • A little more information...

    Looking at my System Log, it seems that the errors started to happen last Wednesday morning 09/03, after the following events:

    Tuesday evening 09/02/2008– tried to apply SP1, but it turned out that the link on the website was for v5.0.0.0, so I actually ended-up going backwards.

    Wednesday morning 09/03/2008– worked with Jeff in support (ticket 115902) to address, re-applied all hotfixes, and download and installed kserver v5.0.0.21

    The first “failed in emailNotify (Object expected)” error appears in the kserver System Log two hours later on Wednesday morning, and has been occurring ever since.

    I am thinking maybe I shoudl apply SP1, but I am also afraid that will introduce more problems.

    Lloyd

    Legacy Forum Name: Event Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • An update.... this problem is now corrected.

    Per an email message from Ypovanni in Kaseya Support:
    =======================
    There was a database change that I did to correct the issue. We have had a couple of other customers experience the same issue and that change corrected them.

    Thank you for contacting Kaseya Support
    -Yovani
    =======================

    Legacy Forum Name: Event Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf