Kaseya Community

Alert/Alarm if event does NOT occur for X days

• Hey all, I'm trying to monitor the success status as well as the failure status of Backup Exec backup jobs.

Backup Exec doesn't always throw up a failed message when it doesn't complete successfully, sometimes it sits there for days waiting for user input or interaction so I need to monitor to ensure that if I don't get any failure or error messages then I get a success message.

I've setup my Job Success event set and that's all running well. The problem is, there's a hole in Kaseya that makes this impossible to do.

I need the rule setup for most clients to alert me if we do not get a job success message for Mon->Fri. Unfortunately Kaseya only allows you to get an alert if you've not an event for X days, not particular days of the week.

I was wondering if anyone has found a way around this? I've already emailed support for help so we'll see what they come back with.

Legacy Forum Name: Alert/Alarm if event does NOT occur for X days,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tbone2345
  • We are in the middle of setting this up as we speak so I will be watching this closely. What we also found was - we created an event set for all of Backup exec's events and we said if these do not happen within 3 / 4 days alert us but it seems that it checks the first if it does not happen it alerts us which will be the case most days.

As I said I will be monitoring this as we have the exact dilemma.

Michael

Legacy Forum Name: Event Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • Why not monitor the BE Engine counter instead. You could look at "backup job run time", "failed jobs", "aborted jobs" and a whole lot more, all in one monitor set.

Legacy Posted By Username: eron
  • Why didn't I think of that? Its a great idea however I'm not exactly sure how to set that up in a monitor set. I'll give it ago. Thanks!

Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • Sorry to somewhat ressurect an old post, but I found this whilst doing a search and its pretty helpful. If I monitor the successful/failed jobs via the BE Engine counter, am I able to put this into an Executive Report at all? This way I can create a report for my clients based on their backups performance over the last XX days.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • Follow up to this as it is now resurrected is.

How does you monitor the Backup exec job Counter.. Not sure even where to start?

• forget that - staring me in the face....

Anybody created a monitor set for Backups and if so are you willing to share..?

• I'm sure this might be a silly question, but I've also been wrestling with monitoring Backup Exec. I'm not sure what engine counter you're referring to; could somebody maybe point me in the right direction in taking a look at that? Sounds like building a monitor set around that rather than event logs would be much better.

Legacy Posted By Username: RyanASP
  • Go to monitor sets.

Create a new one and under Counter Thresholds select BE Engine from Object

Under Counter you will now see a load of counters referring to backup exec.

Michael

• Sorry for the newbie questions here, but it turns out I don't have any counters for Backup Exec. I know how to create them, but where can I find the Backup exec specific info to set up the counters? I did a search on the forum hoping for an import so I wouldn't have to ask, but came up nil.

Edit: Should have done some more independant thought. Found all the info I needed under PerfMon. Also, as I didn't know about it before I read this post and began poking around, the "update lists by scan" monitoring function is a lifesaver. Kicking myself for having missed it this long.

Thanks for the tip, guys!

• I know I have made a new post about this in the monitor sets forum, but I was so on autopilot this morning I completely forgot about this thread.

Once we have the monitor set working, can we create an executive report based on the log value of the counter?

Cheers

• Not sure this is what you are looking for, but: Under reports, on the executive report screen, you can click the button that says "change rows". This brings up a screen where you can add a row to the Executive report showing all alarms triggered by whatever counter set you want.

• RyanASP - Yep, this is what I've currently done. The alarm however, will create an entry on the executive report for each alarm. However, if Kaseya detects there to be 2 BE entries, it will only create 1 alarm with a log value of 2. It's this log value that I want the report to be based on.

Or, is it simply easier to have the alarm set to once per day? The only problem I have with this, is if it fails on day 1, and succeeds on day 2, when the alarm is generated on day 2 it will look back and see there was a failed job on day 1 and create another alert.