Kaseya Community

How do i create an alert that monitors the Event Viewer

This question is answered

Hi

I'm looking to create an alarm that will monitor the event viewer for errors on a server specifically in "Application" and "System". 

This will allow me to diagnose a potential problem before the customer knows about it. 

What is the best way to achieve this?

Kind regards

Dan

Verified Answer
  • Event Log Type is a list of the event logs.  If you're not clear on what each of the listed event logs collect, this may help with general info:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722404.aspx.  

• Select the agent(s)
    • Select which log you want to monitor
    • Select the type of event you want to monitor
    • select when to alert
    • Set the Alert Actions (alarm, ticket, run a script/agent procedure, send an email)
    • Apply the monitor
    • Repeat to select additional event logs

All Replies
  • Use the Monitor > Event Log Alerts function to configure notifications and actions based on Windows events.   You can monitor the event logs for all actions of a defined type (error, warning, etc.), and/or you can create custom event log event sets.  

You may want to watch this video:  www.youtube.com/watch

While it's an older TechJam recording, the general information is similar and, in some cases, exactly the same.  This will give you some instruction on monitoring Windows Events with Kaseya.

• Thank you for your reply

I'm just struggling to understand what the "Event log type" is

I just want to monitor all "errors" in the event viewer and then i will personally decide whether they need attention or not

is there a way to do this?

Kind regards

Dan

• Event Log Type is a list of the event logs.  If you're not clear on what each of the listed event logs collect, this may help with general info:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722404.aspx.  

• Select the agent(s)
    • Select which log you want to monitor
    • Select the type of event you want to monitor
    • select when to alert
    • Set the Alert Actions (alarm, ticket, run a script/agent procedure, send an email)
    • Apply the monitor
    • Repeat to select additional event logs

• Thank you very much

One final question. When i apply the alert, "EWISFCV" are all in red letters and it says "Red letters indicate logging disabled". Does this mean my alarm won't work? Can you please explain this?

• DanielCox,

If you click on the "?" icon above the function list (the menu), you'll be taken to the context-sensitive help file related to the page you are on at the time.  You can find the info on reasoning of the red letters in the help file.  For ease, here's the direct link:  help.kaseya.com/.../index.asp.  See the section under Configuring and Assigning Event Log alerts.