Kaseya Community

Time Skew Alerts

This question is answered

Does anyone have any suggestions about setting up some monitor and alerting for when an agent time skews from the domain controllers? Sometimes we have servers that are off by half a day and we do not notice until a service stops working.

Verified Answer
  • Thanks for the reply, I actually created a nice power shell script that will compare the time on the agent to the domain controller and send an email if its more than 5 minutes off. Only issue is it is a multi-line script and I can't figure out how to get it to work outside of storing a .ps1 file centrally and pointing the agent procedure to it.

• you can chain multiple lines together using ;

I have used this to  run some pretty longs ones in Kaseya without the .ps1

• community.kaseya.com/.../79144.aspx

All Replies
  • Hi Andrew;

There is no out-of-the-box time monitoring solution in Kaseya to do this that I'm aware of. I have looked into this several times in the past and I found that its easier to just set the time on a regular basis rather then to try and monitor for issues.

In saying that I'm unsure if KNM might have a monitor set for it.

Microsoft does have a set of Event ID's that can report on time sync issues that might be of some use;

technet.microsoft.com/.../cc756549%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

• Thanks for the reply, I actually created a nice power shell script that will compare the time on the agent to the domain controller and send an email if its more than 5 minutes off. Only issue is it is a multi-line script and I can't figure out how to get it to work outside of storing a .ps1 file centrally and pointing the agent procedure to it.

• a script to run "net time /set /yes" on the workstations once a day should take care of it.

• PS if you have timeskew of >5 minutes on a recurrant basis, you have bigger issues e.g. faulty hardware or wrongly configured time sources or wrong machine timezone, to deal with......

• Craig I am aware we have an issue which is why I need to keep an eye on it. We don't need to script a time sync, Windows domain should handle it and that is just a bandaid covering up the real issue.
  • you can chain multiple lines together using ;

I have used this to  run some pretty longs ones in Kaseya without the .ps1

• Check out this powershell post:

blogs.technet.com/.../use-powershell-to-easily-compare-the-time-between-two-computers.aspx

you want powershell as follows:

new-timespan -Start (get-date) -end (icm dc1 {get-date}) where DC1 is your DC timesource that you think are drifting from.

Also, enable powershell remoting on your DC with Enable-PSRemoting -force (run from an administrative PS prompt) if not already enabled.

mentioned enabling ps remoting on DC
    [edited by: Craig Hart at 10:21 PM (GMT -8) on Jan 8, 2015]
  • help.kaseya.com/.../index.asp

Max DC time variance - Measure the time variance in seconds between domain controllers. If the time difference between the domain controllers are above this value the test fails.

• community.kaseya.com/.../79144.aspx