Kaseya Community

Massive Offline Alerts When Internet Goes Down / Comes Back Up

This question is not answered

When our primary location that we have our Kaseya Server in loses its internet connection (say, for 30 minutes), when the internet comes back up, we get offline alerts for every single Server that we monitor on our Kaseya System and then we receive the online alerrts since the internet is back up.

I've looked through a few settings and I can't seem to find a way to stop these alerts because we get hundres of them to all of our technicians cell phones.

Ideally, what we would like is:

1. Internet goes offline at out main location

2. Internet comes back up at our main locaiton (30 minutes later.... 2 hours later... whatever it is)

3. ONLY THE SERVERS THAT ARE ACTUALLY OFFLINE send a text / email message and not all the ones that falsely report as offline since they couldnt connect to our KServer

Is there anyway to do this? It's been driving me crazy if our internet goes down at 2am and I receive alerts for the next 2 hours saying that all the servers we manage are offline then come online when our internet comes up.

Thanks,

Chris

All Replies
  • Unfortunately the system is working as designed - Kaseya is not receiving a connection from these agents, so it's alerting that they're offline. What I think you need to do is find the flag in the database that disables alarm generation on Kaseya. Then use the custom check feature to ping an external host. As soon as the host stops responding, have the alarm run a script that executes a sqlcmd statement on your K server (or DB server if it's a separate host) that disables alarm generation.

There is a lot of room for error here unfortunately - If the host you are pinging is down but your connection is up, alarm generation will be disabled. You'd also need to find a way to re-enable alarm generation as soon as the connection comes back up.

For the amount of time and effort you will put into fixing this, it might be simpler to get a backup internet connection at your office, and set that connection as the secondary check-in IP for your agents. Even if it's just a slow/cheap connection, connectivity will still be present for these agents if the primary link drops. When we first installed Kaseya we had the same issue, and ended up going this route before we moved Kaseya into our data center.

• Do you know where I can set the secondary IP so that the servers can check in with that? We do have a secondary ISP here but I don't know how to enable it so that the servers check in with that IP rather than our Primary.

Thanks for the detailed response, I was going to look into setting scripts that disable alarm generating but then that would also do it for servers that are really down and I wouldn't want that because I know it would burn us in the end.

I also put in a ticket with Kaseya so I'll see what they suggest but in the meantime I would like to check out the secondary check-in that you mentioned.

Thanks,

Chris

• Agent Menu Checkin Control.... set secondary IP there.

• Under Agent -> Configure Agents -> Check-in Control, you can specify a primary KServer and secondary KServer, as well as the check-in period. The agents will attempt to check-in using the primary IP, and if they get no response they will automatically fail over to the secondary. Just make sure you've forwarded the right agent check-in port through your firewall on your secondary connection and you should be good to go!

Also, when we had Kaseya at our office we found that certain things (BUDR updates, KES definition updates, etc.) would cause the connection to get saturated. To avoid this you can have half your agents check into one connection as their primary, and the other check into your backup connection as their primary. Put the other connection as the secondary check-in for your agents, and then if one connection fails they will still check-in, but you're spreading the required bandwidth to run your agents across two connections instead of just one.