Kaseya Community

Adding an Event log

• Can anyone give me some direction in adding a new event log to monitor? Tried scanning several machines (update list by scan) with a new software that writes to a custom log but it is not available in Kaseya to snap on alerting.

I may be missing something. Any help is appreciated.

Legacy Forum Name: Adding an Event log,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rtierney
  • rtierney
    Can anyone give me some direction in adding a new event log to monitor? Tried scanning several machines (update list by scan) with a new software that writes to a custom log but it is not available in Kaseya to snap on alerting.

I may be missing something. Any help is appreciated.

in
    Monitor |> Agent Monitoring > Alerts
    Select Event Logs from the pull down list and edit as needed.

If you're not collecting the event logs (tell tail is the text) you must add them in

Agent |> Machine Status > Event Log settings.

PS stay way from update list by scan... it is evil.

Legacy Forum Name: Event Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • or so it would seem. I checked both locations which I had looked at before an dont see any facility to write a new event log to monitor.

The situation is this...

A client uses a custom program that writes log data to 'Program X' custom event log. These events do not make it to any other logs. I tried to update list by scan (will take your advice and stop that) and looked anywhere to begin pulling information from the 'Program X' event log. The event log resides in the default location with the correct registry entires.

I can select whatever is already populated in Kaseya but do not see how to add this new log to the list of available logs to monitor.

thoughts?

• I have the same issue, looking forward to any replies...

Legacy Posted By Username: nzcs.glenn
  • try an update list by scan... then you'll have to add to the list of monitor lists Kaseya logs...

yuck update list by scan...

• Update list by scan was the first thing I tried and various servers with the same event log. After several passes the event logs do not show. So we are back to square 1....

• rtierney
    Update list by scan was the first thing I tried and various servers with the same event log. After several passes the event logs do not show. So we are back to square 1....

In the Agent tab |> Machine Status > Event Log Settings, in the right box you should see a list of event logs if you haven't found it in there you may want to chance opening a ticket. I've got a couple of custom event logs from third party apps showing up in there.

• Yep tried that too. I figured it would need to be a ticket with Kaseya. One is opened and when I find out how they handle it I will post a followup.

Thanks for all your suggestions, its appreciated.

• They were able to get in my custom event log and they suggested the fix is to snap on some form of log monitoring first before executing the script

1. Agent -> Event log settings. Select the application log to be monitored on the server
    2. Monitor -> Update lists by scan. Select the target machine and scan.
    3. New logs should be available.

This isnt consistent with my findings as these servers already had a base form of monitoring in place and they target server should have pulled in the list if this is the fix. I cannot confirm nor deny that the proposed solution will work as they populated the event log for me.

So, if you are in this situation give this a go and if it works please report back to confirm. Also if it doesnt work let us know and create a ticket with support and see what other steps they suggest.