Kaseya Community

How do i create alerts, apply them to an agent and then turn that into a dashboard.

This question is answered

Hi,

Apologies if my post seems a little dumbed down but i am very new to this. I need to create an alarm to monitor disk space on an agents machine and make that visible on a dashboard.

So far i have managed to create an alert to notify me when disk space falls belows 10% (See below) 

How do i now apply this to an agent and then view it on a dashboard?

Any feedback whatsoever is appreciated as i am attempting to self teach myself this from scratch

Thank you in advance for your replies
Dan

Verified Answer
  • Configuring a low disk Alert (Monitoring > Alerts) will only trigger when the device is below the defined threshold when Latest Audit runs.  If you're running Audits daily, you would get notified when that audit runs IF the device is below the threshold at that time.  This could be several hours after the device reached the threshold.  That's probably fine for lab/test machines, and maybe even for some end users, but not ideal for servers and high-productivity end users.  It's also the option available for non-Windows machines.

Creating a monitor set is a little more difficult, but the device is monitored is relative real-time leveraging Microsoft Performance Monitor (PerfMon) utilities.  MonitorSets are Windows-only.  Once you create your MonitorSet (as you have done), you can assign that MonitorSet using the Monitor > Assign Monitoring function.  Select the set from the drop down (it will be named whatever you named it when you created the MonitorSet), select the actions you want to fire when the defined thresholds occur, select the agent(s), and click Apply.  

The data can take a few minutes to begin returning (sometimes a bit longer, depending on the number of objects being monitored/the amount of work necessary to write the capturing info to the agent), but you can review using the Live Counter function.  Alternatively, if you select the action of Alarm when you assign the Monitor Set to the agent, you can review the triggered Alarms under the Monitor > Alarms.  There are other areas for reviewing data, as well.  Once you have the monitor set assigned, you can explore the other functions to find the data presentation you prefer.

typo
    [edited by: Brande Schweitzer at 8:37 AM (GMT -8) on Jan 7, 2015]
  • Hi  

That is correct, Monitor Sets tend to be more reliable then Fixed Low Disk Alerts available in Monitor > Alerts > Low Disk.

This is due to the "Fixed Low Disk Alert" dependency on Audit. If Audit is not running it will not trigger the alarm.

Additionally, this alert does not have a re-arm setting, thus requiring several conditions to happen for it to send another alarm for the same condition.

In regards to the monitor set you built, once configured to your desire - you can assign the monitor set to a machine under the Monitor > Assign Monitor Page.

There is a drop down menu available which will let you select your specific monitor set:

I would also recommend reviewing your Collection Threshold / Alarm Threshold.

The Collection Threshold dictates when the Agent should start collecting and tracking the data.

If this is below the alarm threshold, it may prevent alarms for generating.

Here is an example with the collection threshold Under 80% and alarm threshold under 10%:

The frequency in which the monitor checks the disk space is dictated by the Sample Interval:

As  mentioned, it is easier to use the Low Disk Fixed Alert but it does have some considerations.

Additionally, I would also recommend checking out Kaseya University for more information.

Kind Regards,

Nicolas

• Hi  

Monitor sets can report back "Not Responding" for a various number of reasons.

Several community posts and help desk articles have been made regarding this issue, such as this one:

https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/entries/36068197-Monitor-Sets-are-not-responding-Troubleshooting-Steps

To give you a quick summary of what happens behind the scenes of a monitor set, the Kaseya Agent creates user defined perfmon counters on endpoints.

You can verify the status of the counters by running 'logman query' within the cmd prompt or opening Performance Monitor and reviewing the User Defined Counters section. Running 'logman query' should provide a list of counters similar to the following:

You will need to verify if the counter is running and reporting back data to its corresponding .CSV file.

These counters are running locally on the machine and will store the data/.CSV file within the Agents Working Directory (Usually 'kworking' folder) > Klogs folder.

If you are unable to find the location of the .CSV file - you can always query the specific counter which will show this information.

Here is an example:

Additionally, you could always try to remove and reapply the monitor set.

However, it does take some time for the counter to start reporting back data to the Kaseya VSA - roughly 30~45 minutes after initial deployment.

Kind Regards,

Nicolas

All Replies
  • Hi Daniel

Welcome to the community.

There's actually an easier way to do this if you go to Monitor > Agent Monitoring > Alerts - you can assign your 10% threshold to your machines here and then you'll be able to see them under the Dashboards also under Monitor.

Try the Kaseya University for some training materials if you're struggling to get started. university.kaseya.com/.../index.php

• Hi Alistair

Thanks for your reply.

I've read somewhere that doing it this way isn't as detailed as creating your own alarm e.g it doesn't monitor the agent very often etc. I'm not sure if this is true.

Do you know how often it will monitor the agent because i need it to monitor on a regular basis?

Thanks

• Configuring a low disk Alert (Monitoring > Alerts) will only trigger when the device is below the defined threshold when Latest Audit runs.  If you're running Audits daily, you would get notified when that audit runs IF the device is below the threshold at that time.  This could be several hours after the device reached the threshold.  That's probably fine for lab/test machines, and maybe even for some end users, but not ideal for servers and high-productivity end users.  It's also the option available for non-Windows machines.

Creating a monitor set is a little more difficult, but the device is monitored is relative real-time leveraging Microsoft Performance Monitor (PerfMon) utilities.  MonitorSets are Windows-only.  Once you create your MonitorSet (as you have done), you can assign that MonitorSet using the Monitor > Assign Monitoring function.  Select the set from the drop down (it will be named whatever you named it when you created the MonitorSet), select the actions you want to fire when the defined thresholds occur, select the agent(s), and click Apply.  

The data can take a few minutes to begin returning (sometimes a bit longer, depending on the number of objects being monitored/the amount of work necessary to write the capturing info to the agent), but you can review using the Live Counter function.  Alternatively, if you select the action of Alarm when you assign the Monitor Set to the agent, you can review the triggered Alarms under the Monitor > Alarms.  There are other areas for reviewing data, as well.  Once you have the monitor set assigned, you can explore the other functions to find the data presentation you prefer.

typo
    [edited by: Brande Schweitzer at 8:37 AM (GMT -8) on Jan 7, 2015]
  • Hi  

That is correct, Monitor Sets tend to be more reliable then Fixed Low Disk Alerts available in Monitor > Alerts > Low Disk.

This is due to the "Fixed Low Disk Alert" dependency on Audit. If Audit is not running it will not trigger the alarm.

Additionally, this alert does not have a re-arm setting, thus requiring several conditions to happen for it to send another alarm for the same condition.

In regards to the monitor set you built, once configured to your desire - you can assign the monitor set to a machine under the Monitor > Assign Monitor Page.

There is a drop down menu available which will let you select your specific monitor set:

I would also recommend reviewing your Collection Threshold / Alarm Threshold.

The Collection Threshold dictates when the Agent should start collecting and tracking the data.

If this is below the alarm threshold, it may prevent alarms for generating.

Here is an example with the collection threshold Under 80% and alarm threshold under 10%:

The frequency in which the monitor checks the disk space is dictated by the Sample Interval:

As  mentioned, it is easier to use the Low Disk Fixed Alert but it does have some considerations.

Additionally, I would also recommend checking out Kaseya University for more information.

Kind Regards,

Nicolas

• Hi Nicolas

Thank you very much for your reply, this is exactly what i was looking for.

One more quick question, how do i view this in a dashboard format?

Dan

• Hey Dan,

You should be able to configure a Dashboard within the Monitor > Dashboard List page.

For this specific monitor, probably you would want to use the Monitoring Set Status dashlet, it will list all devices that have monitor sets applied to them.

You can then select how you would like to view the data on the device when you expand a monitor set.

I have highlighted 2 available options to view data from the dashboard:

Kind Regards,

Nicolas

• Hi Nicolas

Excellent! Thank you for your help.

I am almost ready to go but there is a slight issue.

My monitor set was working before but now it is telling me it's not responding.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Dan

• Hi  

Monitor sets can report back "Not Responding" for a various number of reasons.

Several community posts and help desk articles have been made regarding this issue, such as this one:

https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/entries/36068197-Monitor-Sets-are-not-responding-Troubleshooting-Steps

To give you a quick summary of what happens behind the scenes of a monitor set, the Kaseya Agent creates user defined perfmon counters on endpoints.

You can verify the status of the counters by running 'logman query' within the cmd prompt or opening Performance Monitor and reviewing the User Defined Counters section. Running 'logman query' should provide a list of counters similar to the following:

You will need to verify if the counter is running and reporting back data to its corresponding .CSV file.

These counters are running locally on the machine and will store the data/.CSV file within the Agents Working Directory (Usually 'kworking' folder) > Klogs folder.

If you are unable to find the location of the .CSV file - you can always query the specific counter which will show this information.

Here is an example:

Additionally, you could always try to remove and reapply the monitor set.

However, it does take some time for the counter to start reporting back data to the Kaseya VSA - roughly 30~45 minutes after initial deployment.

Kind Regards,

Nicolas

• Hi Nicolas

Thank you very much for your help. You have answered all my questions

Kind Regards,

Dan