Kaseya Community

IE reset from command line

This question is answered

Anyone know how to do the equivalent of Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset in IE in order to reset IE to default conditions from the command line, quietly?

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Stolen from Experts Exchange:

The problem you have is that, everything you want to reset, is determined by different settings in different places in the registry database so there isn't a one-click wonder cure.

A possibility is to run a registry monitoring tool and prior to changing IE's settings and then view the results of your monitoring tool to see what registry value have been effected  - which you could then export to a single REG file.

Another thing to bear in mind is that although there are buttons for performing certain IE-related tasks such as clearing cookies, caches, temporary files etc, these aren't dependent on merely making changes to the registry - these are actual processes which would need to be invoked manually and independently from each other.

As for restoring IE's default settings, heading over to somewhere like HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main reveals many seetings which are normally accessible via IE's Advance Settings.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Internet_Email/Web_Browsers/Internet_Explorer/Q_24106850.html

• What I'm really after is a way, ideally by GPO, to force a checkbox in the LAN Settings, Automatically Detect Settings box.  The only way I've found so far is to reset IE.

I really don't want to break out the Process Monitor on a short Thanksgiving week at work and make my eyes bleed.

[edited by: Dan at 2:29 PM (GMT -8) on 11-22-2010] fsd
  • You may be dealing with a per-user setting. Might need to rollout a logon script to accomplish it. Tons of info here: www.visualbasicscript.com/IE-Automatically-Detect-Settings-SOLVED-m30518.aspx

• That was exactly what I needed.  Specifically the IEautomaticallydetect vbscript towards the bottom of the forum that you linked.

You saved my turkeyday!