Kaseya Community

Script to remove Microsoft security essentials

This question has suggested answer(s)

Does anyone have a script to remove microsoft security essentials. I need to remove them on a large scale so i can install KES in its place.

All Replies
  • execute shell command as system:

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Essentials\setup.exe" /x /s

Might also want to run it against %ProgramFiles(x86)% for 64bit systems with the 32 bit version installed.

[edited by: Dan at 8:11 AM (GMT -8) on 11-8-2010] m
  • I already tried this command. I get a pop-up message that is trying to find msse.msi. If i remove the /s the uninstallation will go through but requires user interaction that I don't want.

• Get the proper switches by surfing to %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Essentials in a comand window then apply the /? to the setup.exe

• I get a "command is not supported" message when running %programfiles%\microsoft security essentials\setup.exe /?

• No, you get "Command line parameters not supported", totally different

• This disgraceful exuse for a forum has no support for posting code....so check the formatting when importing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

- <ScriptExport xmlns:xsi="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema" xmlns="www.kaseya.com/.../Scripting">

- <Procedure name="Remove - Microsoft - Security Essentials" treePres="3">

- <Body description="">

- <If description="">

- <Condition name="TestFile">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Path" value="%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Essentials\setup.exe" />

<Parameter xsi:type="EnumParameter" name="Condition" value="Exists" />

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Value" value="" />

</Condition>

- <Then>

- <Statement description="" name="ExecuteFile" continueOnFail="false">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Path" value="%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Essentials\setup.exe" />

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Arguments" value="/x /s" />

<Parameter xsi:type="EnumParameter" name="ExecuteAccount" value="System" />

<Parameter xsi:type="BooleanParameter" name="WaitComplete" value="True" />

</Statement>

</Then>

</If>

</Body>

</Procedure>

</ScriptExport>

• FYI... the new version gets installed at "%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Security Client" so you will want to add another step to your script and check "Skip if fail" on both.

• removeMSE.txt

This is what you want. See attachment.

• I have successfully ran the following script on our systems.  It will uninstall version1 and 2.  This script is for K2.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

- <ScriptExport xmlns:xsi="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema" xmlns="www.kaseya.com/.../Scripting">

- <Procedure name="Microsoft Security Essentials Removal" treePres="3">

- <Body description="This is to remove Microsoft Security Essentials from the business computers as the license is for Home users only.">

- <If description="">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Path" value="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" />

</Condition>

- <Then>

- <Statement description="Set the login credentials to execute a file or shell command as this user - Windows 2000 and above only." name="ImpersonateUser" continueOnFail="false">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="UserName" value="administrator" />

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Password" value="Gr95!tmN" />

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Domain" value="sgcmh" />

</Statement>

- <Statement description="Execute the specified file - full path to file required." name="ExecuteFile" continueOnFail="false" osType="Windows">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Path" value="c:\program files\Microsoft Security Essentials\setup.exe" />

<Parameter xsi:type="BooleanParameter" name="WaitComplete" value="False" />

</Statement>

- <Statement description="Write an Entry into the Procedure Log" name="WriteScriptLogEntry" continueOnFail="false" osType="Windows">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Comment" value="Microsoft Security Essentials was uninstalled." />

</Statement>

</Then>

- <Else>

- <Statement description="Write an Entry into the Procedure Log" name="WriteScriptLogEntry" continueOnFail="true" osType="NT4|2000|XP|2003|Vista|2008">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Comment" value="Microsoft Security Essentials is not installed." />

</Statement>

</Else>

</If>

- <If description="">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Path" value="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" />

</Condition>

- <Then>

- <Statement description="Execute the specified file - full path to file required." name="ExecuteFile" continueOnFail="false" osType="Windows">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Path" value="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\setup.exe" />

<Parameter xsi:type="BooleanParameter" name="WaitComplete" value="False" />

</Statement>

- <Statement description="Write an Entry into the Procedure Log" name="WriteScriptLogEntry" continueOnFail="false" osType="Windows">

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Comment" value="Microsoft Security Essentials was uninstalled." />

</Statement>

</Then>

- <Else>

<Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Comment" value="Microsoft Security Essentials is not installed." />

</Statement>

</Else>

</If>

</Body>

</Procedure>

</ScriptExport>

• btgries - you just posted a password for an Administrator account in plain text.

Also, why are you impersonating a user anyway? You should be using SYSTEM.

• One more thing: the script I posted is for the old version of Kaseya, but I think you can still import it into K2. Just use that.

• @joshua.niland

This disgraceful exuse for a forum has no support for posting code....so check the formatting when importing.

FYI

You can encapsulate your code using the "code" and "/code" commands, make sure to use square brackets "[" & "]" before and after each command.

• HardKnoX

FYI

You can encapsulate your code using the "code" and "/code" commands, make sure to use square brackets "[" & "]" before and after each command.

I've found that this works best in using "Rich Text Formatting", much like the quote tags.

• How do I import your script btgries? I keep getting this error:

* The text you are trying to import is ot a valid XML or ASP import format.

* Data at the root level is invalid. Line 3, position 1.

• @aabbasi You will need to rewrite or reformat it, replace all the "- <" with "<". Also you can attach scripts when  you use the "Use rich formatting" option, recommend that the script gets zipped up first as Web browsers also tend to be XML viewers...