Kaseya Community

Symantec AV Uninstall Script

• SymantecAVUninstall.zip
    I've had the problem at my clients as I roll out Kaseya that everyone is on different major and minor versions of Symantec AV, each of which has a different uninstall string. I built a script that actually fetches the Symantec anti-virus uninstall string right form the registry and then uninstalls based on that string.

The files are attached. I hope this helps some folks out. It's my first legitimate, self made Kaseya script and I would love feedback too! Smile

Chad

Legacy Forum Name: Symantec AV Uninstall Script,
    Legacy Posted By Username: chadl2
  • This will strip Symantec out of the registry. Does a great job. Just take all the defaults.

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: shickey
  • chadl2
    I've had the problem at my clients as I roll out Kaseya that everyone is on different major and minor versions of Symantec AV, each of which has a different uninstall string. I built a script that actually fetches the Symantec anti-virus uninstall string right form the registry and then uninstalls based on that string.

The files are attached. I hope this helps some folks out. It's my first legitimate, self made Kaseya script and I would love feedback too! Smile

Chad

Anyone had sucess with this script?

Legacy Posted By Username: mpayne
  • Does this script work if the client is managed?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • mpayne
    Anyone had sucess with this script?

It's been working great for me so far. I'll be using it at another client tomorrow with another different version of Symantec AV.

• Coldfirex
    Does this script work if the client is managed?

What do you mean by "managed?"

I'm using when I have new clients that previously had Symantec AV. I use this to uninstall it and install KES afterwards.

Chad

• When you can install SAV you can choose whether the client is managed or unmanaged. Managed simply means it will talk back to a central management console to receive policy updates re: LiveUpdate! etc. Unmanaged is standalone, better for a laptop as it means that users can still receive updates outside of the network.

Cheers.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • LANWorx
    When you can install SAV you can choose whether the client is managed or unmanaged. Managed simply means it will talk back to a central management console to receive policy updates re: LiveUpdate! etc. Unmanaged is standalone, better for a laptop as it means that users can still receive updates outside of the network.

Cheers.

Ah, yes, I have already used it to uninstall from both managed and unmanaged versions of Symantec AV 10 and EP 11 with many different minor version numbers.

• I have gotten it to work, however I did have to change the issue about the Temp folder, and where it pushed out Regfind and the vb script. As is, it would error out, changing the directory to Temp, works like a champ.

I have had moderate to good success rate with this, the only problem is:
    savroam.exe
    rtvscan.exe

Will get you every single time, no matter how many times to try to kill it, it just wont go away.

Legacy Posted By Username: Techdawg
  • I'm testing presently and have hung on step 5 - any suggestions?

Legacy Posted By Username: Lynda
  • Make sure to modify the VBS file with your Temp directory name.

This was an oversight on my part, sorry about that.

• I tried this with no error but the removed did not succeed. The sym_reg_key does not have a value in it. Any ideas. Is a reboot required to eliminate it?

Legacy Posted By Username: mmoore
  • mmoore
    I tried this with no error but the removed did not succeed. The sym_reg_key does not have a value in it. Any ideas. Is a reboot required to eliminate it?

I had the change the key search string to be "Symantec Endpoint Protection". At least for the 1st machine I have tried. So I will need to modify the script with a else statement based on no value returned.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmoore
  • I'm still having problems with Step 5

I made sure to edit the VBS File as recomended before, any idea way it still fails on STEP 5?

Thanks

Legacy Posted By Username: INFPTN
  • OK, I double checked and it came back successful, although InfoReach is still showing that the workstation still has Symantec Installed because of a stupid "Symantec LiveReg" installed, any suggestions on this one?

Legacy Posted By Username: INFPTN