Kaseya Community

Balloon messages

• Has anyone found a way to disable the windows balloon messages without restarting the machine? I need to update Trend micro, which requires a restart of the services and as soon as this happens windows says that there is no anti-virus present, I can just imagine hundreds of user phoning service desk.

Legacy Forum Name: Balloon messages,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ChristiaanO
  • ChristiaanO
    Has anyone found a way to disable the windows balloon messages without restarting the machine? I need to update Trend micro, which requires a restart of the services and as soon as this happens windows says that there is no anti-virus present, I can just imagine hundreds of user phoning service desk.

Change the way windows security center notifies... it's a registry setting that eludes me at the moment. I'd share my script but my scripting engine will be borked until I rebuild my KServer.

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • I have looked at registry settings, but they seem to require a reboot (or loggoff at least) I was looking for something I can disable, run the script and then enable again.

Legacy Posted By Username: ChristiaanO
  • ChristiaanO
    I have looked at registry settings, but they seem to require a reboot (or loggoff at least) I was looking for something I can disable, run the script and then enable again.

AFAIK the change in the security settings shouldnt require a reboot or logon/off, at least in XP. TBH I haven't run my scripts on any Win7/Vista machines, their pretty rare out here and usually we're the ones setting them up and thats part of SOP for us.

The registry change is part of our deployment script (which I'll be redoing soon to accommodate different flavors of Windows YAY K2) and have had no issues with the balloon messages... We do tell our clients to leave their machines on for at least half the day after the agent is installed "so that the inital audits can run" but mostly its so I know the deployment scrpts run.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty