Kaseya Community

Enabling 'Disabled' Remote Control

• Hey Guys,

Here is a script to re-enable remote control on a machine where the user has disabled remote control.

I'm certain that this will create severe trust issues with your clients if used inappropriately....so use sense!

Script Name: Enable Remote Control
    Script Description: This script will enable the remote control on a machine where is has been disabled. It does this by copying a batch file to the more computer that will stop the KaseyaAgent service, change the appropriate registry value to enable remote control, then start the KaseyaAgent service.
    Written by Joshua Niland, joshua.niland@xcentral.com.au

IF True
    THEN
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : %TEMP%\EnableRemoteControl.cmd
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles\EnableRemoteControl.cmd
    OS Type : 0
    Execute File
    Parameter 1 : %TEMP%\EnableRemoteControl.cmd
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : 2
    OS Type : 0
    ELSE

Here is the batch file. Save it as EnableRemoteControl.cmd

net stop KaseyaAgent
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Kaseya /v EnableRemoteControl /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    net start kaseyaAgent

Enjoy!

Legacy Forum Name: Enabling 'Disabled' Remote Control,
    Legacy Posted By Username: XeviouS
  • Very Cool!

Kudo's to you sir!

Stick out tongue

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • Oh, that's slick. I'll need to grab and implement this, soon...

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • Our rep told us this was a violation of HIPAA, etc. when I asked him if he knew of a way to do this, so tread carefully. They might just remove this ability in the next release based on the fact that this is now out in the wild.

If the agent can do it, it can be scripted though so I don't see them pulling this off successfully, especially as more people become aware of this script and use it, more people will want to work around their fix if/when they do it...

Legacy Posted By Username: mclark@outsourceitcorp.com
  • Well, granted that it's something you wouldn't abuse or deploy inappropriately. Quick way to lose a client, there. Documentation would be key in that sort of case, something on the order of ticket notes ("Re-enabled remote control due to XYZ exigent circumstances").

• I could see that being useful but I think they are going to find an issue with it. Time will tell.

Legacy Posted By Username: mclark@outsourceitcorp.com
  • It's my experience that a lot of people like to disable RC so they know we aren't going to spy on them while they check their internet banking and the like. Because of this, users that know about it tend to leave RC disabled permanently.

I do have one customer who knows I have this script, and is happy for me to use it so long as I phone him and let him know. This is handy when he is on the road and could not otherwise enable it for me. I ONLY use this script when I have been given permission by the customer.

Alternatively, you could remove the disable RC from the agent menu. Debatable issue that one.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • I tweaked the Kaseya script portion just a tiny bit...

Script Name: Re-enable Kaseya remote control
    Script Description: Removes the registry value which blocks Kaseya remote control.

IF Check Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Kaseya\EnableRemoteControl
    = :0
    THEN
    Write File
    Parameter 1 : #vAgentConfiguration.agentTempDir#\EnableRemoteControl.cmd
    Parameter 2 : VSASharedFiles\EnableRemoteControl.cmd
    OS Type : 13
    Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 2 : 1
    OS Type : 13
    ELSE

I found that the script was looping if I didn't put a registry check in front, since the script would still be "queued" when the agent checked back in, so it'd run the script, so the script would still be "queued" when the... you get the idea. Easy to fix!

• The reason that its looping for you is because of this ....

Execute Shell Command
    Parameter 2 : 1

Parameter 2 needs to be either 0 or 2 (execute as user and continue immediately, or execute as system and continue immediately)

This way the script will never loop.

• Ah. I was using "execute shell command," which doesn't have the "and continue" options.

• It's a "dark alleyway" kind of script but I've run into a small handful of situations where this would have saved both me and my clients some time. I know I've asked Kaseya for it each time and they said it was impossible. If they do block this in a future release I hope they at least allow master admins the function for emergencies. If explorer dies on a user, how do they allow us remote access?

Legacy Posted By Username: kroberts210
  • kroberts210
    It's a "dark alleyway" kind of script

heh...this is mild in comparison to some of my others ;-)

• chris@busy.co.nz
    It's my experience that a lot of people like to disable RC so they know we aren't going to spy on them while they check their internet banking and the like. Because of this, users that know about it tend to leave RC disabled permanently.

I do have one customer who knows I have this script, and is happy for me to use it so long as I phone him and let him know. This is handy when he is on the road and could not otherwise enable it for me. I ONLY use this script when I have been given permission by the customer.

Alternatively, you could remove the disable RC from the agent menu. Debatable issue that one.

Then what, one would have to ask, is the point of him continuing to disable the remote control?

Legacy Posted By Username: computica
  • As mentioned - it means users can go in and out of internet banking and other sensitive applications without worrying about us firing up an RC.

Obviously if he's out of the office he's most likely not got anything of the like open so I can then do as I please.

ALSO, I only make users aware of this script on a need-to-know basis. I do want users comfortable that by disabling RC no one is going to remote to them, which is true, again because I will phone them before using this script. I also keep this script private.

Regards,
    Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • kroberts210
    It's a "dark alleyway" kind of script but I've run into a small handful of situations where this would have saved both me and my clients some time. I know I've asked Kaseya for it each time and they said it was impossible. If they do block this in a future release I hope they at least allow master admins the function for emergencies. If explorer dies on a user, how do they allow us remote access?

I'm actually amazed that overriding the disabled setting isn't part of kaseya to begin with.

The idea that kaseya might block this seems mad to me. IMO they shouldn't care HOW MSPs use it or what trouble it gets the MSP into. I presume there is no liability on Kaseya if remeote control is used by the MSP appropriately or otherwise. If kaseya's security is compromised and someone else hacks in and accesses remote control, then that's a different story.

Legacy Posted By Username: wodger