Kaseya Community

send message and remote desktop

• I'm having a couple of issues with alerts/messages not showing up for users using remote desktop to connect to their PC's. So for example the reboot-ask-yes sample script isn't showing the dialog to them and just reboots the machine without warning. I'm assuming it's because the message only appears in the console session and not in remote sessions? Any way to get around this?

Legacy Forum Name: send message and remote desktop,
    Legacy Posted By Username: richardprice
  • If you've got an agent on the machine they're connecting FROM you could harass them there...

With TS, trying to ask the user if it's ok to shut down would be a nightmare if there's more than one. You can, however, notify them easily enough.

A quick dig reveals this:
    MSG {username | session name | session ID | @filename | *} [/server: server name] [/time: seconds] [/V] [/W] [message]

Use can use a * for the recipient, and the syntax suggests that everything else is optional.

MSG * Shutting Down Now!

taken from:
    http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/scripting/writing-terminal-service-based-scripts-part4.html

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: dwujcik
  • This from elsewere in the forums. may help

Martijn Frickel
    It is possible to show the systemtray icon in terminal sessions.

All you need to do is modify the Kaseya Agent Service Helper registry entry located in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

edit the value and add -remote

so it will look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Kaseya\Agent\KaUsrTsk.exe" -remote

you'll need a reboot for the setting to get active,
    but it's also possible to kill the current running KaUrsTsk.exe process and manually start it with the "-remote" parameter

It's also possible to use a script to make the modification.

Legacy Posted By Username: HTG
  • Thanks for the suggestions, does anyone know if after implementing this the tray icon still shows on local session (as well as remote) or whether it's only for remote sessions?

• I believe it only shows in the first remote session.. but I could be wrong. I've never really looked

Legacy Posted By Username: HTG
  • Thanks for the help - after some tinkering I've discovered that I can have 2 registry entries, the default one and another with -remote on the end to cover all eventualities and it seems to be happy with that.