Kaseya Community

Backup Exec v12 Script

• From reading the various threads I am presuming that many people have had success with the Backup Exec scripts to monitor backups directly. We have successfully implemented v11 without many issues, but am having issues with v12, I wonder if anyone can help.

First issue is that with script 2-6 I get that the registry query failed to get the Backup Exec path, I have checked the lookup and that matches the registry path on my BE12 box, I can put in a workaround by specifying a constant value of "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\", though this is obviously not ideal.

With this workaround I then get an issue when running the Check_BackupExec_v12.vbs on the server. The script hangs and on the console of the server this error appears:

Windows Script Host
    Script: C:\windows\ccl\temp\BEC\Check_BackupExec_v12.vbs
    Line: 125
    Char: 4
    Error: The system cannot find the file specified
    Code: 80070002
    Source: (null)

I have had a look within the .vbs code but cannot see anything obvious. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Exec v12 Script,
    Legacy Posted By Username: astuart.ccl
  • Hi,

Please keep in mind that v12 and v12.5 have different register settings..... but all other can be used.

change register from 12.0 to 12.5 in the registerstring

Hope this is your issue.

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: fourtopms
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. This is actually for a 12.0 version of Backup Exec, have yet to tackle our 12.5 servers.

Legacy Posted By Username: astuart.ccl
  • Backup Exec.zip
    I found it soo, soo much easier to configure Kaseya to check event log, then I created two set using the success and failure codes (all listed withing backup exec), success set simply emails our Backup Monitoring Inbox then our Failure Set logs a ticket and creates an alarm etc.

So far we have had a 100% success rate (with reporting not backup job success rate) and have no complaints at all, finally when you get views setup looking for BESERVER.EXE it is very, very easy to roll out.

If you are interested I have attached the monitor sets for investigation \ use.

The nice thing about doing is this way is Backup Exec by default write to the Event log so no need to enable SNMP or have different sets for different versions of Backup Exec as the Event Codes have stayed the same since v10d onwards.

Symantec System Recovery is my problem though as even Symantec don't have a list of their ERROR CODES (They don't use Event Code, all is logged under Event ID:100) then the failure codes is in the description of the event.

Oh yeah one other thing, I also created two scripts which simply add the lines "Backup Exec Failure" or "Backup Exec Success" to the script log so that reports can be run very easily (they are also included in the attached zip), though I am unable to export the reports however these take 2 minutes to create...

Go to Reports > Logs...

Choose a log to display shoud be set to script log.
    Script Name Filter set to "Backup Exec Failure" or success.

Then tick "Ignore Machines Without Data" and save the report, now each day you can get a full list of successes and failures in next to no time.

Legacy Posted By Username: Hoe
  • Hoe
    I found it soo, soo much easier to configure Kaseya to check event log, then I created two set using the success and failure codes (all listed withing backup exec), success set simply emails our Backup Monitoring Inbox then our Failure Set logs a ticket and creates an alarm etc.

Thank you for sharing your backup sets...

Are these event log ID relevant to previous Backup Exec version or is it just v12/12.5

Legacy Posted By Username: pferrucio
  • They are universal across versions, we have been using these codes for a year or two for Backup Exec 10d through to 2010 well before we got Kaseya, we simply had Backup Exec email a BackupMonitoring@ then had sub-folders in this in-box for success and failures, any emails received with other codes would have stuck out like a sore thumb as they would have been on their tod in the in-box.

You can verify this if you like yourself by opening Backup Exec, going too TOOLS > ALERT CATEGORIES, you can now see all of the event IDs they use and specify if you even want to log them in the event log or not.

Legacy Posted By Username: Hoe
  • Hoe
    The nice thing about doing is this way is Backup Exec by default write to the Event log so no need to enable SNMP or have different sets for different versions of Backup Exec as the Event Codes have stayed the same since v10d onwards.

Just 1 thing to note on your "by default" statement...

Backup Exec does not write Job Completed Successfully events to the event log. This needs to be setup manually. Just go into the Tools -> Alert Categories, find the Job Success category and check the boxes to enable and write to event log.

Another thing that we do is schedule an Inventory to run every day just before the real backup runs. This helps us confirm a good tape in the drive (just in case the customer argues "the tape was in the drive, honest") and gives us a Job Success every 24 hours. We then added an Event Set to fire if there is no Backup Exec event in 25 hours. This way we know if a backup gets stalled, missed, service hangs, etc.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Yeah I fount that out later actually, first few I checked seemed to have it enabled though, don't think it was a version thing, more likely something someone did previously.

Sorry I should also say I am Hoe, long story but there was such a delay in my account opening I had forgotten if I had done it and created a second account, I didn't even realise until I couldn't find some subscribed threads, I have more in the stu_u2k account so I will just keep using that now.

Unless admins could merge them for me?

Anyway, I am like astuart.ccl now, I have Backup Exec 11d and 12.5 working with the scripts method, 10d doesn't but I haven't really looked at it yet, not really clear which scripts should be calling which for that one then 12.0 which just doesn't work.

Which I just really just don't get because I followed instructions to convert the 12.0 script for use with 12.5 so I can't see how I have that working but 12.0 I don't?!

Help!

Legacy Posted By Username: stu_u2k
  • Hoe

Go to Reports > Logs...

Choose a log to display shoud be set to script log.
    Script Name Filter set to "Backup Exec Failure" or success.

I like the idea of this for the executive reports and have set it up this way. The only thing I cannot make heads or tails out of is why under Reports > Logs I do not have a script log to report off of. Can you possibly shed some light onto a reason why?

Legacy Posted By Username: curtisb
  • curtisb
    I like the idea of this for the executive reports and have set it up this way. The only thing I cannot make heads or tails out of is why under Reports > Logs I do not have a script log to report off of. Can you possibly shed some light onto a reason why?

If you're running K2 the script log is now called the Agent Procedure Log.

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • Hoe

So far we have had a 100% success rate

There is a hole in BackupExec event log reporting that it does not log any jobs that end in status "Missed"

Legacy Posted By Username: cnwicsurrett