Kaseya Community

Backup Exec/ Assists and Trend micro script

• Hey guys,
    General question here. I got to be able to write scripts to track the following programs.
    * Backup exec (v 10d - 12.5)
    * Backup Assist (v5)
    * Trend Micro (v6)

I believe this is probably best to be done via querying the event logs and extracting the data there and then outputting to a text file that can then be sent to the administrator (or whoever needs it).

Are there currently any scripts out there that do this?
    Is there a better way then the concept described above?
    I dont know much about VB so I'm relying on command line prompts. This may not be possible and if I have to bring out the VB books then so be it.

Thanks in advanced

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Exec/ Assists and Trend micro script,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Brad Cheetham
  • Hi Brad,

You do not need scripts to read the event logs. If you set up Event Log Collection against the agents running backup (via Agent > Event Log Settings) and then go to Monitor > Alerts > Event Logs, you will be able to create a custom event set looking for the ID's that backup exec etc will output for failed or successful backups.

For the action to take place when the event log ID is found, you can of course log a ticket or create an alarm, and/or you could trigger a script that just writes an entry in the script log to say "Failed Backup" or "Successful Backup". This would make it very easy for you to include line items in your executive summary reports to show these backups Smile

Cheers,
    Josh

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: josh.tipping
  • Thats Josh. Does this mean that the dashboard will display event log alerts (ie green or red lights?)

If so can this be customised to a userdefined title like Backup Exec and use the event ID as a trigger for an alarm (ie red light)

Legacy Posted By Username: Brad Cheetham
  • Yes is does show under the traffic light system if you like however you cannot change which field it shows in, I am currently trying to get all the scripts working for backup exec to work around this issue.

I have working sets for 11d & 12.5, 12 refuses to work at all and 10d just keeps adding figures to failed whilst the job check figure stays at 0?! WTF?!

Legacy Posted By Username: stu_u2k