Kaseya Community

need some help please

• I am wanting to write a script to remove foxit, however i am clueless. Can someone point me towards some usefull info or tutorials? or just lead me down the right path. I would like to learn to write scripts on my own but like i said i am clueless.

Legacy Forum Name: need some help please,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gbaratta
  • First thing to find out is how you would uninstall it manually with no user interaction. I tell my team this all the time when they want to use Kaseya to do something like this - Kaseya can only script for what already exists.

So start googling for a command line uninstall, and test it out. Once you find a way to just run a simple command like: msiexec /u foxit.exe (I'm making that up) that will remove it, you can use Kaseya to push that command to your machines.

If there is no easy command line way to do it, you need to find and document the steps to manually remove it (i.e. what reg keys to remove, what directories to delete). Then we can script it.

Hope that gets you started.
    Jason

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jasonrdavis
  • jasonrdavis
    First thing to find out is how you would uninstall it manually with no user interaction. I tell my team this all the time when they want to use Kaseya to do something like this - Kaseya can only script for what already exists.

So start googling for a command line uninstall, and test it out. Once you find a way to just run a simple command like: msiexec /u foxit.exe (I'm making that up) that will remove it, you can use Kaseya to push that command to your machines.

If there is no easy command line way to do it, you need to find and document the steps to manually remove it (i.e. what reg keys to remove, what directories to delete). Then we can script it.

Hope that gets you started.
    Jason

Another way is to dig through the registry for the uninstall command (this will be in the add/remove area) then try using that exe with the help switch (/? or -? or the like). Depending on the packager it might be that simple.

In reality Jason suggestion would be easier and faster (i just found it)

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • so i found this:

Unnsatlling Usage:
    msiexec /x /qn TARGETDIR=
    Example:
    msiexec /x “E:\FoxitReader23\Output\DISK_1\FoxitReader23 .msi” /qn TARGETDIR="D:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader

now what do i do?

Legacy Posted By Username: gbaratta
  • The command you gave looks like it's for an install, using E: as the source install MSI. So we're on the right track.

Look in the foxit reader directory for an MSI file, like the foxitreader23.msi file they list. If it's there, try opening a command window and typing

msiexec /u "C:\PATH TO FOXIT\foxitreader23.msi"

(substituting your path and MSI file)

See if that kicks off an uninstall program.

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonrdavis
  • Since it is an MSI package, you may also want to include the /quiet parameter to perform these actions silently.

Legacy Posted By Username: SMason
  • Another thing... all MSI packages have a unique identifier associated with it. You can find the Foxit identifier in the registry under:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Foxit

Under that key you will see a value called UninstallString. The data will have the identifier you need and you won't have to worry about the path the program was installed to.

Legacy Posted By Username: SMason