Kaseya Community

Enable Quick Launch bar

• Not sure if anyone has tried this, but have a looked at this multiple times with no answer being found - so consider this a challenge!! Big Smile

We want to enable the quick launch bar for every computer for one of our managed clients. There is no group policy object to do this. The settings are stored in registry but not just a simple on/off key. There are instructions www.msfn.org (direct link) but this is for use in the runonce are of machine configuration.

We want to enable if it is not already enabled. Quite a simple request, but no simple answer that I can find. Can anyone help??? Red Faced

Legacy Forum Name: Enable Quick Launch bar,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jdg
  • take a gander...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555525

Legacy Forum Name: Scripts Forum,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Thanks thirteentwenty,

unfortunately, not what I am looking for. The quicklaunch folder exists.

Each new user has to right click the taskbar and manually enable the quicklaunch folder to display on the taskbar. It is very frustrating because we have told the practice manager how to do this particular task. In fact, we have told her over and over again for the last 12 months, but we continually get phone calls - "can you enable the thing for us" and this can only be done when each individual user is logged in. So we have to interrupt that persons work so we can remote login and enable the quick launch bar (only has to be done once per user, but they seem to have a high staff turn over).

We are installing a new server this weekend and refreshing all pc's. So this setting will be lost, meaning all users will have to manually re-enable the quick launch bar. Just trying to prevent that nightmare!

But thanks for your asistance thirteentwenty!!

• second part of the the article i think explains on how to enable it.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Yeah,, I thought so too.

But logged into a brand new xp machine, just built, all service packs and updates installed. But all those registry settings already exist as per the article (and quick launch is not enabled). So I cannot create those settings because they already exist!

I was hopeful, and thought you had unlocked the magic reg key that did what I wanted to do - but not quite......

Again, thanks for your effort. It is greatly appreciated.

• Your question sparked my curiosity and I did some digging. As a result, I came across this thing called SOETool. It looks like it takes a bit of effort to setup, but a Kaseya script can get it done.

http://soetool.net/

32-bit
    1. Write soetool.dll to %windir%\system32
    2. Write quicklaunch.vbs to agent temp
    3. Shell command: regsvr32 soetool.dll
    4. Shell command: wscript #temp#\quicklaunch.vbs

64-bit
    1. Write soetool.dll to %windir%\sysnative
    2. Write quicklaunch.vbs to agent temp
    3. Write 64bitFix.reg to agent temp
    4. Shell command: %windir%\sysnative\regsvr32 %windir%\sysnative\soetool.dll
    5. Shell command: %windir%\sysnative\reg import #temp#\64bitFix.reg
    6. Shell command: wscript #temp#\quicklaunch.vbs

The file quicklaunch.vbs would look something like this:
    oSystem = CreateObject("SOETool.System")
    oTaskbar.QuickLaunch = True

Also, we have to remember this is a per user setting...

Legacy Posted By Username: SMason